News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

HF DC conversion

Started by fussy, February 23, 2010, 09:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fussy

Phil,

Thankyou so much for sharing your research.  From what I've read, this will literally be a life saver.

Two questions, if I may:  I started last night with the conversion of my HF 2hp dc.  I'm adding a Wynn filter and building your sinfully simple baffle.  I even understand the principles involved (now that you've pointed them out), and will finish tonight, but I am in doubt about how long to make the dowell spacers for the baffle.  Maybe I missed it in all the posts here, but I'm thinking 3 inckes oir so?

Secondly,  I hope you get seriously rich from this.  You deserve it.  If I had money to invest, I'd be on this like a coat of paint.  Have you considered Lee Valley as a marketing partner.  They're big, they're recognized the world over for quality and customer service, and they are like you, class people.

Thanks

Steve

fussy

Phil,

Never mind.  I just answered my own stupid question.  Now off to the shop to finish this booger up.  I have high hopes.  Thanks again.

Steve

phil (admin)

Well thanks for the kind words anyway and I look forward to seeing your work.

fussy

Phil,

I finished  Wednesday night.  Would have done it sooner but we take care of our 2 grandkids every day(grumble, grumble).  The only difficult part was stretching the plastic bag to fit the separator ring.  The whole thing took less than an hour or so.  So far, it works beautifully.  It's a real treat to watch the dust angle down to the bottom of the bag at an almost 45* angle and then STAY there with just a little swirling at the top of the pile. 

I know it's working because I am sensitive to some woods.  I currently working Bloodwood, and although not alergic, I am very aware of the smell.  I don't smell anything now which tells me that the filter is working well, and I get NO dust when I tap or flip the filter, which according to the SWAG method of evaluating performance, tells me the  Thien Separator works perfectly.

I'll post pictures when my technical proficiency catches up.  It looks just like Vaughn's except I didn't paint it purple.  Seriously,  thanks to you, Phil, DBHost, Vaughn, and all the other posters.  This site is Very helpful, informative, and demonstrative of the co-operative spirit that seems to be common amongst woodworkers.

By the way:  The angle I used for the dowels in my separator was 31*.  Worked fine.

Thanks,
Steve

Vaughn

Steve, I know I'm way late chiming in, but congrats on the DC upgrade. The baffle works amazingly well, doesn't it?

dbhost

Oooh, I've been given credit here. What did I do? Maybe I can do it again...

fussy

VAUGHN,

Yes, it surely does.  What is really a trip is watching the dust head to the bottom of the bag at a 45* angle and freakin' Stay there!  It just circles around.  I don't think anything has gotten into the filter yet.  It's truly amazing how smart someone has to be to come up with something so blindlingly simple.

As for you, DB, what you have so patiently done is to explain that which is blindingly simple in terms that a simpleton such as myself could not only understand, but execute.  Thanks. 

And the same again for Phil. 

Steve

captainbg

If there are pictures posted, how do I view them? ::)

phil (admin)

Quote from: captainbg on May 06, 2010, 05:06:46 PM
If there are pictures posted, how do I view them? ::)

I don't see any pics posted in this thread.  But I think you may have to subscribe to view pics.  OTOH, you'd have to have subscribed to ask the question.  So you should be set.  I just think there are no pics.