News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

DC with air ramp

Started by mickman798, January 28, 2010, 06:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickman798

Phil- I have a penn state DC with a sprial air ramp not the normal ring like with the Harbor Freight style DC.  Will the bafflle still work with this type of configuration?  Do I need to do anything different with the install?

phil (admin)

A picture is worth 1000 words.   ;D

Astrowood

I had the same question. http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=183.msg1046#msg1046

But I went ahead and installed one anyway. Seems to work great.

Astrowood

Quote from: CharlieL on January 30, 2010, 12:01:48 PM
I'm trying to understand what benefit there is to doing that inside a DC unit. Shouldn't you be seperating the dust before it enters the DC blower ? After it seems pointless.

I went through this same thinking process as yourself. Spending some time researching others comments on the net convinced me that you can keep a lot of dust out of your filter cartridge (or micron bags - whatever you use). I did not have such a large DC before, I bought mine used, modified it before using, and I can say after using it, that the filter pleats are very very clean. Would they be that way if the baffle had not been installed ? I cannot say - but I was convinced by others experience with both setups, and the number of people using this modification.  Besides, the baffle is a few hours work, using scrap in the shop - whats to loose by trying ??