HF top hat, separator ring to two filters?

Started by LinuxRandal, August 12, 2014, 10:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LinuxRandal

I currently have a HF setup.  What I am thinking, is at some point in time, I may upgrade the motor and impeller.  Since the HF motor is normally in a top hat (on top of trash can setup) and it vents to the HF ring with filter up top and plastic bag, I am wondering about replacing the bottom bag, with another Wynn filter and a pan (or Filter pan if Wynn makes one for that size filter).  Anyone do this?
Would I see any benefit, either before upgrading the impeller/motor, or after?

Thanks (formerly a member I think from the older software/board)

jdon

I doubt that replacing a bag with a second filter would have a significant effect of performance. First, the Wynn filters have pretty large filter surface areas, so I don't think that resistance to airflow by one filter is a major factor in limiting performance, so a second filter would decrease effective resistance only slightly (diminishing returns). Duct run length, size, bends, etc, probably are greater factors.

The only scenario I could see a second filter making a big difference would be if the first filter was so caked up with fine particles that it really restricted flow. It that's the case, you have much bigger problems- bad top hat design/build. Also, if that's the case, the second filter, replacing the bag, would clog up even worse than the upper filter.

I assume, though, that your top hat must be working so well that a plastic bag is almost superfluous- otherwise, you wouldn't be thinking of removing it!

I think the money you'd spend on a second filter would be better used in saving toward a bigger motor/impeller system.

Just my .02, and hope that somebody with more expertise can correct, as needed.

LinuxRandal

Thanks.
Since I haven't had a larger system (and have major height issues at the location), I don't know if a larger motor and impeller requires more air flow.  (the reason I thought of the second filter first)