News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

I'm impressed.

Started by Dik, August 21, 2008, 07:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dik

So much so I have already started a design for mine.

phil (admin)

Fantastic artwork from a SketchUp professional!

Dik

Thanks, but I'm hardly a professional.  I like using SketchUp (SU) and like planning my projects with it.  I'm a very visual person, I need to see what I'm planing and that is easier with SU than with anything else I have ever used.  And it helps me catch problems before I start work.  Woodworking, computers, SketchUp and animation are my hobbies now that I'm retired from being a computer jock.

Have fun...

Dik

Dik

Finally got around to building a separator.  I decided that the barrel I was going to use was too big for the area I wanted to use it in, so I bought a 20 gallon metal trashcan. 

Rather than repeat here what I've already published, I'll just post this link to my blog.

http://ezsmart.blogspot.com/2008/08/separator-for-shop-vacuum.html

I will note that when I connect to the 1.25" hose that I use on the circular saw and sanders, the sides of the can buckle a bit.  I'm going to design a connector that I can adjust to relieve some of the vacuum when I use it with something other than 2.25" hoses.

phil (admin)

Nice work.

Adding some more air (by adding the adjustable bypass to your inlet) will help in separation.  You need to find the sweet spot so you still get enough suction to the tool, but so the separator gets enough air to adequately separate.

Thanks for the feedback!

John Gray

Quote from: Dik on September 12, 2008, 02:13:28 PM
Finally got around to building a separator.  I decided that the barrel I was going to use was too big for the area I wanted to use it in, so I bought a 20 gallon metal trashcan. 

Rather than repeat here what I've already published, I'll just post this link to my blog.

http://ezsmart.blogspot.com/2008/08/separator-for-shop-vacuum.html

I will note that when I connect to the 1.25" hose that I use on the circular saw and sanders, the sides of the can buckle a bit.  I'm going to design a connector that I can adjust to relieve some of the vacuum when I use it with something other than 2.25" hoses.
dik,
Thanks for the post it has the best pictures of the setup that I have seen to date!!!!
John Gray in Effingham, Illinois

digger

Great pictures.
I noticed you mentioned right depth in one of the photos.
Is there a specific distance between the cover and baffle ?
It seems to be about 5-6".

Thanks