News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

sealing the lid

Started by dabullseye, February 13, 2009, 09:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dabullseye

what have you found to b the best material to use to seal the top to the can. would it b better to do it on the bottom of the top piece or on the edge of the smaller top pcs. i was thinking about a piece of surgical tubing maybe in the corner (make a rabbit or dado) between the two pcs of ply or make the top just a wee bit bigger and going around the outside of can with some tubing and a staple gun.

dp

I used a strip of foam 1"x3/4" that has stickyback tape on it. It self-seals from the lower pressure in the container when the vacuum is running. I google'd fiber drums and found several sites that sell drums that have clamp-on lids that eliminates one of the weaknesses of using the galvanized trash can I have so will be going with that in the next version.

dabullseye

where did u put the foam tape. on the bottom of bigger lid or the edge of smaller lid. did u add any staples or nails since the adhesive dont stick to good to wood   :-\ .

Greg McCallister

I routed a 1/2" round grove and applied silicone.

rjwaldren

My top is 3/4 mdf with a 3/4 rabbit to fit the inside the lip.  The weight combined with the suction provided a pretty good seal.  But as an added measure I used contact cement to secure foam "sticky back" weather stripping to the rabbit.  Just place so it sits on the top lip of the can.

dbhost

I cut a 3/4" 3/8" deep rabbet in my lid, it is a little snug going on, between the friction fit, and the suction I would think it is sealing well. I have no trouble pulling all the shavings from my planer through nearly 40' of 2.5" tubing, and hose. Including 3 90 degree bends. Yeah my layout needs work...

IF I thought I needed something additional to seal it, I would use sticky foam tape, the kind you weather seal a door with, on the bottom of the thick part of the rabbet, so that the foam contacts the top surface of the can lip.