News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Testing

Started by BernardNaish, February 19, 2014, 07:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BernardNaish

Hi All,

Can someone please tell me how to smoke test my extract system to detect leaks including smoke source?

While we are looking at this would it be a good idea if we listed, including links, of all the test methods that have been used.

air flow
static pressure
amps drawn by blower
any standardised methods of testing the efficiency of collection eg dust in dust out, chips in chips out etc.

galerdude

My DC is outside my shop so I keep an eye on its operation with this Manometer that I fabricated. Lets me know if something is a foul, clog, on or off, etc.. Have not used it for testing as I really don't have/take the time. Might be able to be used for testing though.
Just sharing  ;).

tvman44

galerdude, where do you connect the manometer to in the system?  A picture and explanation would be appreciated as I like the idea.  :)

galerdude

Quote from: tvman44 on February 20, 2014, 07:31:18 AM
galerdude, where do you connect the manometer to in the system?  A picture and explanation would be appreciated as I like the idea.  :)
RCOX from this forum gave me the idea in a thread he started here. It's only a 2 page thread and has some info on a manometer. Mine is connected about 2 feet from the Thien Top Hat Seperator. I used an old leftover dishwasher connection to connect the 1/2" ID tubing to the drilled and tapped 4" PVC DC pipe. If I were to build another for the purpose of testing I would definitely make the numbered graph more detailed. I filled the tubing with cuervo and food coloring, didn't want to take a chance on freezing. Mine loses about a half a number per year thru evaporation I guess and I just been eye dropping rubbing alcohol to replace. The visual really helps me out cause with the router screamin' I can't remember if I turned it on or not (CRS-can't remember squat) so just a glance lets me know. Here's a couple more pix, hope it helps. Need anything else, please let me know.

tvman44

Did you connect between the Thien & DC or ahead of the Thien?

galerdude

Quote from: tvman44 on February 20, 2014, 07:41:22 PM
Did you connect between the Thien & DC or ahead of the Thien?
Ahead or intake side of Thien.

tvman44

Thanks, may have to try that.  :)