Another TopHat design that works.

Started by galerdude, June 15, 2011, 07:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galerdude

Here's my version of the Top Hat design. Still need to mount the motor/vane on the wall above the Thien Top Hat but it works super as is.Thanks Phil and all of you for the ideas and inspiration.
Thanks,
Gale

galerdude

Small update: mounted the HF DC components on the wall in my attached shed. Still need to mount the Thien Top Hat solid and plumb accordingly.

Thanks,
Gale

phil (admin)

Very nice execution.  A very clever baffle sandwich.  :)

galerdude

Very appreciative of the comments, Phil. I owe many Thanks to you, your forum and the many innovators that post their participation in this ....... magic show  ;D 8).

Thanks,
Gale

galerdude

OK, last update, it's done. While I had it on the bench changing the outlet configuration, I snapped a picture looking inside the inlet to show a little more construction detail.

Thanks,
Gale

Bulldog8

I really like the sandwiched baffle idea. Is the hole shown in the baffle for an internal brace to prevent the baffle from moving?

Steve

galerdude

Hi Steve, yes I felt it would be necessary to stabilize the 1/4" tempered masonite after cutting the baffle as it seemed somewhat floppy. I never tested without the internal brace/bolt but it is real stable with it there. I cut all the parts with my "Joe's 4x4 R&P CNC" router and added that hole for the bolt afterward. I have the design files in *.dxf and they are less than 500k. Not sure if I can post them but am willing to email them if it is of any help to anyone.

Thanks,
Gale

galerdude

Here's the *dxf file. hope it's of some help to someone.

Thanks
Gale

Howard In Toronto

Thanks Galerdude - thought it might be more helpful if I started a new thread though - check the forum - thanks - Howard

galerdude

I dumped 3/4's of a barrel of sawdust today with nothing visible in the bag  ;D . Love that Thien Baffle !!!

Thanks,
Gale

dabullseye

how come you went with a 7/8 slot and what is the 8 sided piece of wood show at the top of your pic

galerdude

Concerning the 7/8" slot; I read in another thread that it was thought that a narrower slot would capture/separate more fines. With most of my collection being from the CNC and tablesaw I decided to give it a go, so far so good. With this design, I feel I can easily change out the baffle if I feel the need later on. I think it's important to note that the true success of this thinking will prove itself later on when cleaning the Wynn filter. I apologize for not knowing the link to the "slot width" thread.

The eight sided piece shown was to be a collar for the 5" outlet to aid in stability. It was not needed in my situation. Sorry for any confusion that might have caused.

Thanks,
Gale

RonS

I loaded the dxf file into DoubleCad XT and did some auto deminsioning. Here is the result as a PDF and dxf file. I
hope this helps with some of the questions.

Ron

os1kne

galerdude

Well, I've had to change my setup concerning after the Thien separator. Originally had a Wynn filter on the HF DC. I had acquired it previous to building the Thien top hat separator. I at that time had the DC in the shop. When I went to the top hat I put the DC outside the shop in an attached unheated room. I've been using it a lot and have had problems with the filter plugging. I think it's from the condensation from the warm dust hitting the ice cold filter. It's really caked. Anyways, I put the bag back on and will report back in a month or two and let us all know if that helped. So far, in just two days there is quite the noticeable improvement.

Till then,
Gale