News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

pictures

Started by RCOX, July 19, 2011, 10:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil (admin)

I haven't used a lot of plastic cans.  I'd go with the metal, if you can make it work.

RCOX

Chuck: the airflow restriction problem, as I see it, is trying to pull 6" air through a 4" pipe. I think it is more noticeable when I have the baffle in the correct location. I have seen the site you referred to but it has been a while since I have looked at it. I know there has been a lot of discussion about location of inlet to baffle. Looking at the page you referred to shows the top inlet with the discharge almost in the center of the baffle plate. With my side inlet, I think I have the baffle/inlet relation about the same at this time. It seems to me that with about a third of the baffle in front of the centerline of the inlet is where I get the best suction. At the risk of trying to over analyse this design I am trying to determine what "causes" the differences. I think that with the baffle further to the front, I am losing some suction up through the slot and going back into the incoming airflow instead of providing separation. With the baffle further to the rear, the baffle retards the uprising airflow until it has had time to settle/drop more of the dust. If I am half way correct, this is also why I notice more suction and collapsing of the can walls. I know this is a lot of rambling but I work better when I can understand why/how something works instead of just doing it.

Phil: I have a 30 gallon metal trash can that my complete setup will work in. The top of this can is just a little bit smaller in diameter so I will have to trim the rabbit a little more, then I will need to install the inlet and it should work fine. I have started getting some 6" pipe and fittings and will start switching that out in the near future. I am still trying to decide whether to use double 45's or switch to flex hose from the separator to the dc to eliminate the sharp 90's.