My New 4" Top-Hat, 12" Tapered Square Funnel, Photos

Started by flagelpater, January 20, 2014, 08:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retired2

Quote from: giovanotti on January 24, 2014, 02:26:34 PM
Hello,
question for experts: basic design positions outlet in the center of the separator circle (looking from the top).

What about positioning it off center in a way, which is used for radial ventilators?

I threw out that challenge to the forum just a few weeks ago.  Not much interest!

http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=1049.0

flagelpater

My Easy Way to hold the 5 Gallon Bucket in place.

Foam seal at top surface, bonded to the above flat surface.

Use the built in Lever, Pail Handle, and a couple bungee ties.

Fix the point on both sides of the handle that will deliver the required tension.

Fashion a hook to another bungee to hold the handle in the down position.

Three guides were installed to align the bucket.  I think just one or even two would be sufficient to hold the bucket while you jack it up with the pail handle.

Very easy to remove and replace the bucket.

So far I have collected 5 buckets full of sawdust with ZERO reaching the Shop-Vac. Mr. Thien has done an amazing job with this design.

phil (admin)

Quote from: galerdude on January 24, 2014, 05:13:01 PM
Quote from: giovanotti on January 24, 2014, 02:26:34 PM
Hello,
question for experts: basic design positions outlet in the center of the separator circle (looking from the top).

What about positioning it off center in a way, which is used for radial ventilators?
Interesting.
Anxious to see your test results and findings.
I understand Phil did various arrangements when initially designing the separator so hopefully he will have an opinion for you.
Best to you on your mods and execution.

I never tested off-center a bunch.  I did build some units with an integrated blower which necessitated an off-center approach, but I didn't do any testing for differences in separation rates or airflow.

Sorry.