News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

a baffle's purpose....

Started by toolguy1000, May 24, 2012, 12:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toolguy1000

in the drum ring of those 1100cfm jet units and delta 50-850 type units is to reduce the cyclonic swirling that occurs in the collection bag, right?  and that with a properly installed baffle or (dare i say it) jet vortex type cone/tray, one wold see the collected dust drop into the collection bag of a DC rather than continue to swirl around as it does in it's OEM state.  have i got this right?

phil (admin)

toolguy1000

thanks.  as i putz around, at least i'll know if i'm on the right track based on what happens to the sawdust in the collection bag.

toolguy1000

in another thred, i kind of asked the same question i did here.  furthering that question, what is the estimted marginal improvement in the operation of the flat internal baffle relative to a cone or bowl shaped "baffle".  is the flat baffle 5%, 10%, 6%, 8%, 25% etc, better than a "cone like" baffle?

phil (admin)

Quote from: toolguy1000 on July 29, 2012, 07:47:07 PM
in another thred, i kind of asked the same question i did here.  furthering that question, what is the estimted marginal improvement in the operation of the flat internal baffle relative to a cone or bowl shaped "baffle".  is the flat baffle 5%, 10%, 6%, 8%, 25% etc, better than a "cone like" baffle?

Boy, I wish I could put it that simply.

Where the cone falls down is scrubbing.  As the bottom container fills, the debris that had been separated keeps being lifted by the high velocity air, and the finest stuff will likely make it to the exhaust.

So the baffle allows finer debris to settle in the bottom.