News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

anybody done this...

Started by toolguy1000, May 11, 2012, 06:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toolguy1000

am i correct that the downside to this (an inverted frying pan) modification to a 50-850 collector ring:

is that it keeps more fines in suspension and headed towrds the filter than does phil's flat 120/240 degree baffle? so even if thee is no discernable dust on the top of the dust collector ring, and the pleated filter looks much cleaner than it did without any sort of cone/baffle at all (thien or frying pan or wok lid or salad bowl), that more fines wind up in the filter than do with a flat thien baffle?

here is a video of the operation of my 50-850 after my "baffle/cone" modification:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6KpAhEsrV0&feature=plcp

so although the downward, cyclonic motion of the dust is a positive developement, there's a chance that a flat, well executed  thien baffle would have the dust dropping straight down into the collection bag is if it were being dropped into the bag by hand, slowly and without any circular motion?  comments appreciated.

phil (admin)

Quote from: toolguy1000 on July 29, 2012, 07:41:50 PM
am i correct that the downside to this (an inverted frying pan) modification to a 50-850 collector ring:

is that it keeps more fines in suspension and headed towrds the filter than does phil's flat 120/240 degree baffle?

Right.  The trick is to keep the debris in the bottom bag moving slow enough to prevent resuspension.  There will always be SOME, but the less, the better.

DarthVader

would it be a good idea to add a chimney in the original dust collector ring if i added a top hap separator and not an internal baffle?

if so, how high into the filter? 3" seems what has been decided on before on baffled models.

how low into the bottom bag since there is no baffle in the way? it seems this length on the depth of this chimney pipe would be the dimension that could really have an effect on fine separation, it could have some issues to though...too high and fines would still go to the filter, too low and scrubbing might be worse affecting cfm or ???

lastly, what diameter should the chimney be? ive seen 8"-9.5" on this site in the limited threads with chimney info. im not sure if this is as big of a deal if you stay with a happy median size.

phil (admin)

With no baffle, I'd skip the chimney.

Some guys add a baffle to the DC ring, and bypass the separate separator when they're using tools that don't generate much debris (pretty much everything but the jointer and planer).  If you do that, then adding the chimney would make some sense.

DarthVader

isnt the point of the chimney to keep fines in the lower bag or just chips? if its for just chips then it def makes sense not to add it to the ring...

phil (admin)

Quote from: DarthVader on November 25, 2012, 08:11:12 PM
isnt the point of the chimney to keep fines in the lower bag or just chips? if its for just chips then it def makes sense not to add it to the ring...

The chimney works in combination with the baffle, and improves fines separation.  Without the baffle, though, the chimney won't offer any help.

Adding a chimney to a DC w/o a baffle is akin to adding energy-efficient windows to a house that otherwise has no insultation.