rockler 4" dust separator components

Started by toolguy1000, September 30, 2011, 09:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toolguy1000

i've been planning a 4" version of the separator, but always bumped into a problem with identifying the fittings that connect the separator to the vacuum.  i came across these in the latest rockler catalog at $15.99:

http://www.rockler.com/gallery.cfm?Offerings_ID=25225&r=2&TabSelect=Details

seems they'd make the connection easier, and it should be possoble to find some rigid pipe/tubing that will provide for a straight downtube in the center of the separtor lid.  any constructive comments on them?

dabullseye

i had round ones in a trash can but i lost 5" of room inside the can. after i saw retired2 tophat build up. i jumped rt on that design ("so sexy") but it has a rectangular inlet and it is so sweet being able to see whats happening and the rectangular inlet in this design ROCKS.  if you go with the tophat and use MDF be ready for a mess in your shop. i have an 800 cf fan that dumps rt out into the ridge vent, a suspended filter and a large fan and im still cleaning up dust.

Rick T

Quote from: dabullseye on October 01, 2011, 05:19:28 PM
i had round ones in a trash can but i lost 5" of room inside the can. after i saw retired2 tophat build up. i jumped rt on that design ("so sexy") but it has a rectangular inlet and it is so sweet being able to see whats happening and the rectangular inlet in this design ROCKS.  if you go with the tophat and use MDF be ready for a mess in your shop. i have an 800 cf fan that dumps rt out into the ridge vent, a suspended filter and a large fan and im still cleaning up dust.
A bit OT but I will ask it anyway... we are talking about a 1/4 sheet of material here.. @ 2' x 24" for a top hat. Why bother with mdf when you could use 1/2" G1S plywood or even good construction grade. ...plenty strong, much lighter and you don't needlessly produce all that dust?

dabullseye

its what i had on hand, 3/4 and a 1/2 piece to make an additional ring

Rick T

Quote from: dabullseye on October 01, 2011, 10:11:10 PM
its what i had on had, 3/4 and a 1/2 piece to make an additional ring

Makes sense. Just curious. I avoid it when there are reasonable alternatives if much cutting is involved.

polarys425

I used MDF for mine as well since i had some. I did all my cutting and routing outside.....