News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

My new 2 stage dc setup

Started by millman, May 18, 2010, 07:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

millman

I'm building a 2 stage dc setup for my garage workshop. I started by mounting a 2 hp HF blower on the wall, added a Wynn canister filter, built a side inlet drum with a Thien separator, made a new base for everthing to sit on, and fabbed up a remote control circuit so that the system can be turned-on remotely or manually with the flip of a switch. I just started working on the ductwork which will consist of 4" pvc pipe with 45 degree inlets welded to the main trunk. The table saw will be hard piped, the jointer and planer will hookup with short hose connectors so that they can be moved out of the way when I'm done using them. I will post some pic's when it's done.

millman

dbhost

Very nice setup. That is more or less the setup I am working toward... Except I want everything on a single cart so it can be mobile...

How did you figure out the hole for the side inlet?

bruegf

You should consider going 5" pipe.  I noticed quite a difference in air flow when I used 5" snap-lock pipe on my HF DC.   Don't have any way to measure it, but the scrubbing action in the clear dust bag before I added the separator was much more vigorous after changing over to 5".

Fred

millman

dbhost, I used the pipe joint template software on the harderwoods.com website to make the cuts, very easy to do. bruegf, I did consider going to a 5" trunk line but my main trunk is only 8 feet total in length. My planer and jointer will be connected about 3 feet from the separator drum. I'm not antisipating any air flow problems.

millman

dbhost

bruegf,

Where did you find Wyes for the 5" snap lock pipe? I would like to to 5x5x4 so I can use 5" for the main line, then 4" at the Wye to go to the machine drops / blast gates.

bruegf

http://www.kencraftstore.com/24_gauge_sheet_metal_wyes.htm

Imperial Mfg Group in Canada makes 26 ga HVAC wyes, but I couldn't any 5" wyes from them anywhere in the US.

Fred

toolguy1000

millman..very nice set up.  but how did you cut the pipe that enters the side of the fiber drum so precisely.  and how did you make the corresponding cut to the plastic pipe so precisely?  whenever i've seen the type of set up you've achieved, theres's usually prodigioius amounts of duck or metal tape involved.  i little info on your technique would be appreciated.  thanks.

Vodkaman

I agree, amazing piece of carpentry.

Did you use CAD and unwrap to make patterns?

However you did it, very professional looking.

Dave

dabullseye

very nice. do u have plans on putting in a window cuz that would b the ultimate setup, besides having a trained beaver

jmbchap

Millman,
Excellent work! You mention several interesting things in your post. The first is the software you used to generate the pattern for the pipe inlet (I will check that out shortly after some turkey!). I have CAD software and can post the plans for the cutout if you are unable to do this. The other item is that you rigged up a control box for your DC. Could you provide some more specifics on how it operates? I would like to do both of these items, so your head start could come in handy!

Thanks for posting your work!

John C (jmbchap)

millman

First time visiting this site since last spring, figured my post would be long dead by now. Just to update, the system is all completed with ductwork and blast gates. It works totally awesome! Probably catches 98% of dust and particles. Been using it quite a bit for the last 6 months. Probably have a cup full of very fine dust in the bag. Emptied the drum twice. I'll post some pic's of the finished system when I get a chance. Chuck, when you see how the duct system connects to the side inlet you'll see that the length of the inlet pipe attached to the drum is fine because it is fully supported by the duct pipe. Also there is so much surface area where the inlet pipe meets the side of the drum that once the pipe is "superglued" on and left untouched for 24 hours, it"s almost impossible to rip it off.

millman