Delta AP400 separator question

Started by mike65072, March 28, 2010, 01:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike65072

Hi, I have a small shop and am pretty much stuck with an older Delta AP400 DC because it has a small footprint and works well in the space I have available.  It actually does a decent job but I'm trying to improve it a bit.  I bought a Wynn 9E300BL filter and it it fits the opening for the top bag perfectly.  I would like to add a separator inside the DC to help keep the filter clean.  As others have mentioned the inside of this DC will require some sheet metal work, but I think I have that part figured out.

The question I have is what size hole do I need in the top plate of the separator?  The Wynn filter inside diameter is a little over 8".   The top and bottom holes in DC for the bags are only 13" in diameter.   I cut a 13" diameter seperator top with an 8" hole and it looks awfully thin.  The donut is only 2 1/2" thick and I'm afraid that will interfere with the cyclonic action in the separator and allow alot of dust up unto the filter.  Can I get by with a smaller hole?  Maybe 4" or 5"???

I'm taking pictures as I go.  When I get the project finished I'll publish the pics to possibily help others.  Thanks, Mike

phil (admin)

Can't really picture your explanation.  The donut to the filter is 2-1/2" thick?  Why is that so thick?  Can you post pictures?

dbhost

mike65072

Sorry, poor explanation on my part.  I'm having trouble with my phone/DSL line right now.  When it gets fixed I'll post a couple of pics.  Thx, Mike

mike65072

Ok, let's try this again....

Here's the AP400 with the bags off,

Here I've added a small extension to the existing baffle to reduce the port into the bag area to about 4" by 4".   I'm hoping this will help the cyclonic air flow and perhaps increase the velocity a bit.  I also have some sheet metal cut (not installed yet)  to block off the open area to keep the air flowing.

Here is the bottom of the Wynn filter...8" inside diameter.

Here I have cut the bottom and top Thien baffle parts.  The top part has a 8" diameter hole to mate up with the 8" opening of the Wynn filter.  If I use this top I will have a difficult time putting in the spacers and they will be in the middle of the air flow.  If I go with a smaller hole in the top part , say 5", the outer ring would be 4" as opposed to 2 1/2".  I would think this would make for better air flow inside the Thein baffle but would it cause any other problems?  Or....am I over-thinking this whole thing??? :)  I'd appreciate your thoughts, thanks, Mike

phil (admin)

You want to keep the hole to the filter larger, rather than smaller.

Would it be possible to exchange that filter with one that goes around the OUTSIDE of the Delta separator?

mike65072

Long story, but I can't exchange this filter.  I had a feeling this would be a trial and error process.  I guess I'll try the top with the 8" hole and see how it works.  I have plenty of plywood and a circle cutting jig in case that doesn't work  :).  Thanks.

toolguy1000

mike...like you, i have an ap400.  i've wanted to do the same thing you are attempting, but never could get started.  good luck with applying the baffle.  once accomplished, pics would be really appreciated.  and good luck with the process.