News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

first separator attempt

Started by toolguy1000, March 18, 2009, 10:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toolguy1000

put together a small separator today.  5 gal pail with plumbing fittings driven by a 20 gal craftsman shop vac.  baffle is 11 3/4" in diameter, with the 1 1/8" slot reducing that over a radius of 240 deg.  about 1/2 of the dust sample still makes it to the vac.  how critical is the placement of the suction side relative to the side of the separator pail?  i could get it so the edge of the elbow between the lid and the baffle touches the inside sidewall of the separator pail if that will help. is a 5 gal pail too small?  should the slot in the baffle have been smaller?  the connection of the vac to the separator is dead center in the separator lid.  i don't have a digital camera or i'd have included pics.  elbow between lid and baffle is a sched 40 90 deg elbow and its face is perpendicular to the baffle.  the suction side of the separator, to which the vac is connected, extends into the space betwen the lid and baffle approx 1.5". any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

dbhost

The suction side should be dead center of the lid. Do you have a pipe nipple for the suction side? I only speak from MY experience here, Phil and others may have different results, but from what I can determine, you MUST have your suction side picked up BELOW the top of the lid to help avoid scrubbing.

On the digital camera thing... Do you have a modern cell phone / data cable? I used my cell phone as a digital camera between digital cameras. (My ooooollllldddd Casio gave up...)

It really would help to have photos of the setup and the problem.

toolguy1000

anyone care to provide a little guidance on how to get a jpeg picture from my hard drive onto this forum?  thanks.

dbhost

You need an online photo gallery to share photos online, unless your hard drive is set up as a web server. I suspect that is not the case...

Go to www.webshots.com and set up an account, upload the pics there, and then follow the on screen instructions for sharing the photo in a forum. Their software will generate the code to insert the image for you, you simply copy and paste it...

toolguy1000

well, this is fun.  got the photos up on webshots, but if there is a way  described on that site onhow to get them onto this forum, i am unable to find it.  any help on this would be appreciated.  thanks.

dbhost

When you browse to the photo, sort of below, and to the right there is a smallish icon labelled link to this or something like that, it will pop up a selection of sizes, pick the biggest one, I think that is 600px, and it will generate the code for you, just copy and paste the forum code into your message...

bennybmn

You also might be able to right click the pic and select properties, which will display the url.

toolguy1000

this is the page that has 3 photos of my baffle
http://community.webshots.com/user/toolguy1000

any guidance about how i get these photos onto this forum would be sincerely appreciated. thank you.