Oneida Super Dust Deputy

Started by Jerry Thompson, November 12, 2013, 05:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Thompson

The Harbor Freight DC has 4'' inlet/outlets.  The dust deputy has 6''.  Would using reducers effect the performance enough to make this an unwise choice?
It would be used one machine @ a time, e.g., TS, 8'' jointer, 12'' planer and a 12'' miter saw.  I think the longest pipe run would be 8 feet. I do not know exactly where I will place the set up yet.
If this is fool hardy I will try to figure out how to make a Thein separator.

dabullseye

save yourself the $$$ just make a thien

retired2

Quote from: Jerry Thompson on November 12, 2013, 05:46:49 AM
The Harbor Freight DC has 4'' inlet/outlets.  The dust deputy has 6''.  Would using reducers effect the performance enough to make this an unwise choice?
It would be used one machine @ a time, e.g., TS, 8'' jointer, 12'' planer and a 12'' miter saw.  I think the longest pipe run would be 8 feet. I do not know exactly where I will place the set up yet.

The Dust Deputy and the Thien Separator are both large bulges in the conveying line, so using reducers is unlikely to adversely affect the performance of either one by very much, especially when the conveying lines are so short.  A far better question might be how do the line losses of a Dust Deputy compare to that of a Thien Separator in a system where all else is equal.  I have yet to see any test measurements for such a comparison.

With regards to "dabullseye's" comment to save money and build a Thien separator, I would say that is a big maybe.  A lot will depend on what type Thien separator you plan to build, what features you plan to incorporate into it, and whether or not you have all the material on hand to build it.  And of course your time is worth nothing.   

phil (admin)

I tend to agree w/ retired2.  I'd do some googling, there has got to be someone out there that has run the SDD with a blower w/ 4" or 5" in/out.

Also, there is a guy on eBay selling cyclones on eBay that probably work every bit as well as the SDD.

TKsDust

Pop off the HF DC plastic adapter on the inlet and you have a 5" inlet diameter = worthwhile improvement and really help match better to the Super DD. 5" pipe or hose is available on web for reasonable.

If you are bold, get an HVAC 6" starter pipe (there are some with metal tabs around the circumference and some foam adhesive no-brainer install ones at your big box stores) for less than $10 and a piece of 1/4" hardboard or sheet metal. Make your own replacement for the removable round disc off the front of the blower. There are some pics out there on the web of ones guys have made for the HF. That will be a 6" diameter inlet = BIG improvement if you are running 6" up to the tool itself. If you run DC to the tablesaw cabinet and an overhead guard that will also really help since you are trying to use both lines at once to capture fine dust.

The HF DC doesn't have a lot of power so if you keep the pipe size larger to the one machine you are using it will make a nice difference.
From your description, if those are the only tools you run off of it, one at a time, with 8ft or less of flex hose, then the 5" inlet will probably be fine and do better than the 4". Later, If you run duct for any length, or the TS setup I mentioned, or other high dust producing tools, I would suggest the 6" mod. It doesn't take a lot of time or money. There a other factors to this discussion that could be helpful to decide.

bpotts

Quote from: retired2 on November 12, 2013, 02:15:29 PM

The Dust Deputy and the Thien Separator are both large bulges in the conveying line, so using reducers is unlikely to adversely affect the performance of either one by very much, especially when the conveying lines are so short.  A far better question might be how do the line losses of a Dust Deputy compare to that of a Thien Separator in a system where all else is equal.  I have yet to see any test measurements for such a comparison.

Yes, but your effective SP will be determined by your smallest diameter restriction(s).  If the adapters/connectors decrease the size of your pipe, then it is the connector or other restriction that drives the result, not the pipe diameter.  Right?

-- Bradley

retired2

Quote from: bpotts on January 10, 2014, 05:54:29 PM
Quote from: retired2 on November 12, 2013, 02:15:29 PM

Yes, but your effective SP will be determined by your smallest diameter restriction(s).  If the adapters/connectors decrease the size of your pipe, then it is the connector or other restriction that drives the result, not the pipe diameter.  Right?

-- Bradley

Yes, but this case, the "reducers" were being used as "increasers".