My first thien separator

Started by madfly, June 21, 2013, 05:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madfly

hi I'm costruento this thien separator and my suction pipe is 100mm, while the dirt container is 300mm.
So I sized the top hat thien separator in this way:
- Dirty air inlet pipe 100mm
- Clean air outlet pipe 100mm
- Slot capture dust 25mm x 240 °
- Height of 100mm top hat

Can you tell me if I did well?
I attach some photos

retired2

Won't work.  Inlet port is blocking the spinning air, and it is very close to the outlet port so even if it is cut back you will probably get waste by-pass.

alan m

everything looks good exept for the right hand side of the inlet. cut that back flush with the outside of the seperater.

madfly

At this point I have to change the diameter of the bucket and go from 300 to 500mm in this way the inlet tube would be 100mm away from the outlet, is correct?

retired2

Quote from: madfly on June 22, 2013, 08:06:44 AM
At this point I have to change the diameter of the bucket and go from 300 to 500mm in this way the inlet tube would be 100mm away from the outlet, is correct?

500mm is better than 300 if whatever you are using for a blower is moving air at a decen velocity.  As you increase the diameter of the separator the inlet moves further away from the outlet - that is good.  Howver, the velocity of the spinning air will drop with a larger diameter, and tha could be bad if you have marginal velocity to begin with.

Keep in mind the separator diameter does not neet to match the diameter of the waste drum.  For example, you could use a 450mm diameter separator on your 500 mm drum.  You just don't want a ledge in the separator at the drop slot.  The slot should be flush with the vertical separator wall. 

Schreck

Quote from: alan m on June 21, 2013, 12:17:01 PM
everything looks good except for the right hand side of the inlet. cut that back flush with the outside of the seperater.

like this:

madfly

Ok so I realized that I have to increase the diameter of the collection bucket and change the input part of the dirty air.
So I will 500mm diameter, height 200mm, inlet and outlet pipes from 100mm.
I start to draw the new filter, greetings

alan m

thats a lot better.
one thing you can do is too add a small ramp on the end of the side where it meets the inlet.
if you draw a tangental line across to where the dust will impact on the other side of the inlet where it is straight.
hitting that at too steep and angle will create a lot of turbulance. adding that little ramp will help kick the dust around into the curved section adn allow it to travel around better

madfly

ok where can I see some examples?
I could do it later to improve filtration though I realize that is not enough.

greetings

retired2

Quote from: madfly on June 23, 2013, 10:41:09 AM
ok where can I see some examples?
I could do it later to improve filtration though I realize that is not enough.

greetings

If you are looking for ramp examples, the only one posted that I am aware of is my own.  See reply#68 in the link below.  It is titled "The case for a modified rectangular inlet".  There are many ways you could accomplish the same thing, just keep it smooth and don't overdo it 

http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=563.60

alan m

iv done it to mine but im not sure how well its documented.
i have a clear top on mine.
you can see that the little ramp really helps

madfly

Hello I have made ​​a new top hat thien separator, here are the details of the project

- diameter inlet dirty air and outlet air 100mm
- slot 25mm
- diameter recycled bin 500mm

some photo in attach.

tvman44

madfly, I don't see how you will attach the top hat to the barrel?  8)