News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Finished my build

Started by revwarguy, July 13, 2013, 02:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revwarguy

Hi Jack,
No rabbet was needed in the separator bottom, as the Lexan was just the right length between the rear upright and the end of the C slot at the other end of the curve to hold it in place during assembly.  (The Lexan actually drops down below the bottom of the separator just a bit.) Once assembled, all of the sealing was done on the outside - if you look at the rectangular openings of the Lexan (the area bounded by the top, bottom, and uprights as windows, you caulk them just like any other window, going completely around each opening from the outside.  This not only held the plastic in place, but made a good seal all around.

I used 1/16 in Lexan (a polycarbonate) not Plexiglass (an acrylic) so no heating was needed to bend it.  I do not recommend Plexiglass at all as it is stiff, brittle, and is hard to machine - it melts and cracks way too easily.  Lexan is a little bit more expensive but is a much stronger, tougher, and easier material to work with.  You can bend a piece of Lexan sheet in a vice with a hammer 90 degrees and make an angle bracket!