Canwood Dust Collector Conversion

Started by goball, April 16, 2016, 08:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goball

I am a new member on this forum and this is my first post having taken some time to read some threads to get a feel for the members and their interests.  I am a hobby woodworker working in my attached garage at home.  Have recently become interested in improving the quality of dust collection for obvious health reasons not to mention the mess the dust makes.  My first challenge was to modify my Canwood Pro CWD12-750 collector to a simple cyclone design which was somewhat successful but certainly not to the point of being satisfied with the dust and chips collecting in the pleated paper filter instead of the lower bag.  My surfing lead me to Mr Thien's website and design.  Being a design I thought I could work with, I added an upper plate with a chimney and lower slotted separator below the dust inlet tube.  Sadly, the transfer of chips and dust to the upper filter did not improve at all.  It is entirely possible that I did something wrong or the design just won't work on the collector but like I say, it was a challenge.  Has anyone converted the same Canwood collector to the Thien design with success and if so, I would appreciate finding out exactly what was done to make the conversion work.  Any help would be appreciated.  Many thanks.

BernardNaish

If you were to provide some sketches and photographs with a more detailed description I am sure you will get answers to your problem.

goball

Good idea.  I'm attaching four photos I took along with my original build (mod) of my DC.  Today, I added a vortex breaker to the bottom end of the cone which I did not take a picture of - sorry.  Believe it or not, the swirling of the dust in the catch bag has all but stopped.  Too late to give it a torture test but I have a feeling that it might just perform even better.  Comments and suggestions would be welcomed. 

BernardNaish

I don't actually see the Thien baffle in your photographs, or am I missing something?

goball

OOPS, looks like I kinda went off topic.  The Thien separator plate idea I tried didn't work well at all so went back to my previous mod using the lower cone and upper separator plate with the immersion tube.  I showed these pics to demonstrate the original design in case someone modified the DC using the Thien design on this particular DC.  Sorry for any confusion.