Clarification on Thien Top Hat Outlet pipe position?

Started by Arty-Marty, December 21, 2020, 09:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arty-Marty

Hi Everyone,

I am after some clarification on the position of the outlet pipe on a top hat I'm building.  There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the internet.

"Note that the outlet must project into the separator so that it ends 1/2 pipe diameter from the ..."   baffle   - or the -   top cover   ? ? ?

A lot of the written information shows the outlet pipe 1/2 of its diameter from the baffle however a lot of the diagrams show it 1/2 of its diameter from the top cover.  So which is it?
If I have a have a 14" high top hat, with a 6" outlet, should it finish 3" from the top or 3" from the bottom?

I have included one of the conflicting examples of dimensions that is all over the internet.

Thanks Marty

Schreck

If the distance between the baffle and the top = the diameter of the outlet pipe, then it doesn't matter - 1/2 pipe diameter from top or baffle is the same level.

If your top hat is taller then the outlet pipe diameter, then I believe most designs end the outlet 1/2 pipe diam. above the baffle.  Scan the site for other builds to confirm this.

Sorry for the slow response - busy time of year.