Static In Plastic Barrel

Started by gd850, February 28, 2013, 04:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gd850

Finished making a collector using a 55 gal plastic barrel.  Tested with sawdust composed of wood and Masonite from cutting the 1/8-inch baffle.  The barrel is is white so the interior contents are visible; including the spiral when collecting dust.  After collecting about a coffee can of material, I removed the top and baffle to inspect the interior of the barrel.  I noticed a perfect spiral formed by the Masonite dust spaced about 6 inches starting from under the baffle and down to the bottom of the can.  I emptied the barrel wiped down the inside and sprayed the interior with Static Guard.  Reassembled and collected the same dust.  Noticed the spiral during collecting the dust pile.  Removed the top section and found that there was no evidence of the Masonite clinging to the sides of the barrel as before.
I have not used the collector for any extended period so don't know how long the anti-static will last.

phil (admin)

Different plastics seem to have different static signatures.  The 30-gallon drum I'm using is white but not opaque, I can still see through it.  With my non-top-had model powered by a shop vac, I do get a bit of static.  But nowhere near enough to interfere with separation.

I've had other plastic bins that were unusable.  The static would get so out of hand that removing the lid resulted in a bunch of chips seeming to just leap out of the container.

I will be interested in hearing how your Static Guard experiment works.

gd850

Thanks for the information.  Do you have a recommended material that would cause a static problem?  I was thinking of using some UHMD plastic on the router for test.
I am using a Craftsman 16  gallon wet/dry with a 2-1/2 hose for exhaust and a 3-inch SDR slow 90 for the intake with an attached 45 to mate with the interior of the barrel. 
The barrel is tapered at the top so I offset the intake.  Added the 45 so the airstream did not blast into the side of the barrel.  Seems to work well.

phil (admin)

The UHMW plastic will certainly cause static cling.

gd850

I finally had a chance to check the Static Guard.  I had a piece of black UHMD and ran it through the joiner on edge to create a pile of chips, about 4 cup.  Sucked up the pile and checked the collector and vacuum.  No cling to the barrel sides in the collector and no chips in the vacuum.
Some of the black UHMD has anti-static properties.  To check, I rubbed the piece that went through the joiner with cotton and placed it next to some sawdust and chips; they were drawn to the piece and stuck like steel to a magnet.  Cleaned the piece and sprayed a small amount of Static Guard on it then wiped clean.  Moved it to the same pile; no attraction was noted.
Time will tell as to the longevity of the effectiveness of the Static Guard coating.

The Static Guard is flammable as indicated on the can.  I would not recommend spraying it into the inlet with the vacuum on.

phil (admin)

Quote from: gd850 on March 03, 2013, 01:34:03 PM
Time will tell as to the longevity of the effectiveness of the Static Guard coating.

Okay please keep us posted.

Quote from: gd850 on March 03, 2013, 01:34:03 PM
The Static Guard is flammable as indicated on the can.  I would not recommend spraying it into the inlet with the vacuum on.

Almost like you know me.