News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Top Mounted Shopvac

Started by jcjohnson55, July 05, 2019, 01:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcjohnson55

Hi,  I'm not much of a woodworker but I do create a lot of sawdust that clogs my old Craftsman shopvac's filter much too quickly.  I've been lurking on the site for awhile and finally decided to build a baffle separator.   In one of the posts, I saw a top-mounted shop-vac and really liked the compact setup.  I don't think my version is particularly innovative but wanted to share the simple connection method I made between the baffle lid and bottom of the vacuum canister.  I used a 3" abs threaded fitting so I can remove the vac and use it for occasional wet  duties.  Plus, I think my 30yr old vacuum isn't the best and I'll replace it with a newer vac or a blower setup in the future.   For now, this is working great - really pleased with the performance and always-clean filter element.
Appreciate all the info here on this site and hope this idea is helpful.
John

tommitytomtom

That's pretty clever ! I have my 5 gallon separator sitting side by side and now I have a new project ! Thanks for the post ! This particular vac of mine is purposed to a Ryobi BT3XXX table saw.

ProfessorGT

JC,

I had to do a double-take on your setup, but when I thought about it for a minute ........... you are a genius! So the way it works is that you block the normal Shop Vac intake port when you use it this way, and then open it when you detach it for wet use, correct?

By doing this, the hole you've made in the bottom of the ShopVac barrel becomes the new inlet, going through the ShopVac filter as usual, to the discharge port. Very smart, and something I never would have even considered thinking about! Very smart!

I have a smaller model ShopVac that, set up with your innovative design, will be great for smaller general household use. I'm excited to set it up like this.

Years ago I built and installed a Thien baffle in my H.F. 2hp Dust collector (used for woodworking and pen making), and in the future will be building another stand-alone unit to add to it to make it a 2-Stage, but that will come later. For now I'm intrigued with your very smart application of the Thien-baffle design. Just when you think you've seen it all, Bang! Bravo, my friend!