harbor freight and general - 6" versus stock and the Spears 6" long sweep 90

Started by Clark Savage Jr, January 18, 2016, 02:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clark Savage Jr

A few photos, it is very hard to actually understand - for me - the difference between the stock HF fan inlet and the 6" inlet/spears long 90 degree from my earlier posts so I thought these may be interesting to some of you:

"my best harbor freight mods, thoughts, intro."
    "6" LONG SWEEP PVC 90 degree elbowDWV [not tight bend] on Amazon - $14.60"

So here are a few images for both so you can see the difference and the reality of seeing them may actually be stunning. I bought two of the 6" to 4" so the one here is new, along with the 6" spears 90, while the HF original is still dusty and dirty off the shelf. You can see the stock HF gets lost in the 6" spears, and again, the new impeller per post makes a big difference. The pipe in the photo is a 6" hard cardboard tube for a new build to test a few thoughts - I find sonotube [concrete tube form] or packaging tube works fine for low cost testing.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words  ::)

pjr_atl

Clark Savage Jr

I realized that my images have no everyday item to compare against - although that is an auto floor jack in the pictures [some stuff is getting tough to place, move and the builds are more involved].

FYI [if interested in another idea] I may be using a small hydraulic jack to raise my cans to my fan/Thien assemblies and leaving them in place as my way of doing can empties. Very cheap for a hydraulic or scissors jack at places like HF. Cheaper for me than building platforms......

So here is another image of the spears on top of a JET 6" spindle sander.
        Yes, the 6" bighorn 6" to 4" is the same outside diameter as the Spears 90. It will NOT slip fit.
        The Spears will fit over my 6" tube, it will not direct fit the bighorn.
        The bighorn will sort of - close enough for me - slip fit the tube.

Hard to believe the price of the Spears, I am going to get a few more of these long sweep 90s for myself. If anyone knows of a cheaper supply please let me know I would appreciate it. At $14.xx and free ship on Amaz per my post they appear to be a bargain.

Anyway, for your pleasure