Third Separator Concept - comments welcome

Started by NCTinkerer, January 05, 2016, 06:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCTinkerer

I took advantage of the holiday sales and picked up a 2 HP HF Dust collector.  I'm working out how to use its parts.  See my design concept picture.  It is lacking the framework to support the motor, empty the can, etc.  I have a lot of experience fabricating steel framework, so that part is easy for me.  I will weld together a tubular steel frame.  The idea is to attach the HF blower directly to the top of a Thien separator then fabricate a smooth rectangular 90 to direct the blower output into a cartridge filter.  I have ordered one of the clear Huskee 32 gallon trash cans from webstaurant.com to use under the separator so I can see how full it is.  My experience with the first two separators I've built for my Shop Vac leads me to believe that I won't need the big HF ring or the plastic bag.  I don't expect anything but fine dust to make it past the separator.  The box shaped area under the filter represents a drawer that would catch whatever dust does fall from the filter when the blower is switched off.  Please feel free to comment, if this has been tried and has problems, I'd rather find out now.  Thanks.

NCTinkerer

I did some more digging through the forum and found where this configuration has been proposed before.  If anyone has done this type of setup would care to comment on its pros and cons, I'd really appreciate the input.