New build....Here we go....

Started by Rudy81, August 24, 2013, 06:05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvman44

Instead of a elbow, use 2 45 degree bends.  Less restriction.

Harnell

OK...maybe that's the way to go...keep the motor in the same orientation and use 2 45's from the separator to the impeller.  Next question is flow straighteners - should they be installed just past the bellmouth at the separator or after the last 45 ahead of the impeller?

tvman44

I don't know anything flow about straighteners, maybe some of the engineers on here can answer that.  As for turning the blower sideways I have seen many pictures of set ups that did just that.  It would definitely put a different kind of load on the bearings, if that is a bad thing I am no engineer. :)

Rudy81

I am reviving this build thread to provide some data I just obtained using a Pyle anemometer.

I am reworking my shop and have been contemplating purchasing a commercial cyclone like a Dust Deputy XL or one of the builds from the gent in East Caroga. 

Before trashing my build, I thought I should see what kind of performance I am getting from my build.

I measured my 6" metal pipe at a blast gate that is 5 feet from the top hat inlet.  The gate has a diameter of 5.5" so I used an area calculation of 0.164 sq. ft.

Results were 3785 ft/min velocity and 640 CFM.

Considering my 1.5 hp JET DC motor is on the low end of dust collector setups, I was fairly impressed with the performance.

I plan on measuring the performance of the DC itself once I take the system apart to move it to a new location.  This should show me what kind of losses I am incurring in the top hat.

If anyone can see where I messed up the calculations, please let me know.  Also, if you have experience with a cyclone vs. the Thien baflle, I would be interested in your experience. 

At this point I'm not sure a cyclone would perform much better, but I have no way of knowing.  Seems data points are scarce for these builds and the cyclone with a Jet DC.

benjiminyoung

too funny Rudy, re your reviing this thread. 

I am trying to decide if I should build your fantastic looking Thien version separator or buy the super dust deputy xl.
Did you go the dust deputy route yet? If so, any comparisons or comment?