Thien Separator for Fein Vacuum

Started by Jack01, June 30, 2013, 09:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack01

I build this yesterday. Took about 4 hours, cost approximately $ 21 US
This is the completed unit

I used this info as guideline   http://woodgears.ca/reader/hector/thien_separator.pdf

Started with these circles

This is the baffle.

The base

base attached to vacuum

The unit

The dust after the test.

This is unit is working good so far.

retired2

The sweep elbow of your inlet should not rest on the baffle plate.  There should be clearance between the two so waste does not get caught behind the elbow.

tvman44

Other than no space below the elbow looks great, I like the idea of mounting above the Fein. :)

Jack01

Thanks for the feedback I will make change keep some space between baffle plate and inlet elbow.

Tacuabe

Very nice Jack01! Glad that my .pdf provided some help.

I assume you had also seen my approach to coupling a Thien separator to a shop vac. It's also posted in woodgears.ca and in this forum (look for ShopVac sandwich. There's another post by Jeth that provides additional info).

Initially I was tempted to go along your lines, i.e. put the container on top of the vac. But then it dawned on me that if I went the other way round (container on the bottom and vac on top, with the separator in-between as Jeth did) I could get rid of a lot of piping and connections. All these, besides being cumbersome, add a lot of drag on the system.

You can probably lower the height of the whole unit by shaving the vac container bottom to an absolute minimum. Mind you, I didn't do that, but I can still do it! After all, the vac container is not being used anymore!