Thien Separator for Delta 50-760 Dust collector

Started by Jack01, June 28, 2013, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack01

I have been planning to complete Thien Separator for my Delta 50-760 Dust collector  for last two years. Finally last weekend I started and finished.

I picked up a 30 gallon drum for $ 8.00 at flea market. It was in great condition. Picked up a reducer 5" to 4 "from home depot and other PVC fittings. This is what I started with.

I wanted to make the unit which will fit under the Intake of Dust collector port.
I followed this information to build the baffle. http://woodgears.ca/reader/hector/thien_separator.pdf

Here is complete baffle, this fit perfectly in the drum.

View from Inlet looking inside;

Outlet from drum to dust collector.

Wow!!!!!  Got a problem here.  This is 1.5 "offset. Distance from top of drum to under dust collector is 7.5 "   Need to resolve this.

I checked for 5" ID flexible pipe. They are not easily available mail order was only choice where I needed to purchase 10 feet minimum approximate cost of $ 90.00 plus about 6 days to deliver. Well that was not an option for me so I decide to build my own pipe. I had some scratch vinyl material. I wrapped around two 4 "PVC couplings. Used Duck tape to finish it.  This pipe has 5" ID and 8" long

The other challenge was to find 5" hose clamp. Big box store do not sell this size. Finally located one at Ace Hardware.

This is completed unit ready for test.

After test, I did not see any dust in the plastic bag.
Dust in drum 

Inside 

So I will call this is successful project.

Wish I would have done this  2 years ago.

alan m

that looks good.
i think you could improve it slightly by chamfering the bottom of the baffle plate. espesially where the slot stops. .
that should reduce the chance of dust getting sucked back up before it falls clear

Jack01

Thanks for the feedback. I will chamfer the bottom plate soon.

juicegoose

Man I finished mine this weekend using a 50-760 and it's not even close to that clean. It does work but fine dust just goes right up the tube into the bag.