Modifying a Grizzly 1029 DC for the Wynn Filter and Thien Baffle

Started by jhiggins7, October 22, 2008, 09:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhiggins7

Thanks to Phil and others for the great ideas on this Forum.

I have a 2 HP Grizzly 1029 Dust Collector.  It is nearly identical to the 2 HP Harbor Freight DC, the Jet DC and several others.

I have recently become concerned about the efficiency of my dust collector.  I've read through Bill Pentz's website, here http://billpentz.com/woodworking/Cyclone/Index.cfm, found out about modifying my DC to accept a Wynn Filter, here http://www.wynnenv.com/9e300bl_conversion.htm, considered buying a ClearVue Cyclone, building my own cyclone per Bill Pentz's plans or
buying an Oneida Cyclone.  All of these options are $$$$$.

I purchased a Wynn Filter since it would significantly reduce the fine wood dust, could be made to work with my current DC and could eventually be used with the ClearVue Cyclone if I decide to buy one of those.

While considering the cyclone options, I learned about this Forum.  I watched Phil's video  and read through the posts.  I was particularly impressed with those who have adapted the Wynn Filter and a Thien Baffle to the HF DC, just what I wanted to do!

Attached are several pictures which represent a log of my modification of the Grizzly 1029.  I hope this may be helpful to anyone considering similar modifications.

The first couple of pictures are of the Dust Collector collar.  The filter will be attached to the top and the baffle will be attached to the bottom of the collar.

Next we make the filter adapter out of 3/4" plywood.  I used a modified version of Phil's router circle-cutting jig to cut the filter adapter and later the baffle.  I didn't have a router bit with a bearing that was tall enough to cut the plywood, so I attached a piece of plywood scrap to my router table and used a nail to hold the center of the circle I was cutting.  Phil's idea of fixing the router and passing the piece to be cut past the bit worked WONDERFULLY.

Once I cut the donut hole in the filter adapter, I mounted the filter to the collar.

Then on to the baffle.  I glued-up two sheets of 3/16" tempered hardboard.  Phil suggests using tempered hardboard, but I was concerned that a single sheet would be too flimsy since the baffle has to be nearly 19" in diameter and, in my case, supported by 3 all-thread screws.  I cut a full circle the size of the bottom of the DC collar, then using the circle-cutting jig, I removed 1.25 inches for 240 degrees of the circle.  I mounted the baffle on the collar using three all-thread screws, an L-bracket to hold the 120 degree part to the collar, a little clear caulk and we're ready to reassemble the dust collector.

The final picture is the dust collector running.  One of the most exciting parts of the process was seeing the saw dust swirling like a CYCLONE at the bottom of the plastic bag while the dust collector was running.  I even made a video clip of the cyclone action at the bottom of the plastic bag, but the video quality of my digital camera was too poor to be able to see it on the video clip.

Since I haven't used the modified dust collector very much, I don't have a lot of results to report yet.  I did remove the filter after having run the dust collector a bit and the filter had NO DUST, GREAT!

I'll be happy to answer any questions, especially for anyone planning similar modifications.

dbhost

FWIW, the Wynn ( http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm ) 35A is the filter I have seen most, but not all of these conversions use. It is a nearly direct drop in replacement for the upper bag on the HF, and Shop Fox 2HP DCs. The Grizz I would think should be identical to the Shop Fox, but the application notes say that it differs, and the turnbuckles might be a bit too long. An easy fix if you own a vice a propane torch, and a big hammer... Just re-bend the hook ends shorter.

jhiggins7

dbhost,

Good point.  The 35A looks like a better fit than the 9L300BL that I used.  I chose the 9L300BL because it is specified for the ClearVue cyclone.  I even had to make an end cap for the 9L300BL because it is open at both ends as opposed to the 9E300BL and the 35A which both have one open end and one closed end.  Before ordering, I talked with the folks at Wynn and they confirmed that the closed end of the 9E300BL could not be removed to make it a 9L300BL.

phil (admin)

Wow, that is a nice job.  And very forward thinking about being able to reuse that filter should you decide to go with a cyclone.  Kinda like killing one bird now, and guaranteeing you'll be able to kill another bird later on, with the same stone!

dbhost

jhiggins, no worries. The tall filter you used is the one that was common prior to the 35A. You did exactly what Wynn suggests...

You did a nice job on that. You should be proud of it! Of course why would you want a Clear Vue now that you have a 2HP DC with a Thien baffle and a Wynn filter?

jhiggins7

Thanks Phil and dbhost.  You're right dbhost regarding the ClearVue...but of course I have to see how the system actually performs.  My ducts are buried under a concrete slab.  So changing the ducts would be difficult.  I have a 5" main line with 4" drops to the machines.  I did use metal ducts.  If you've read Bill Pentz's stuff, he empasizes the use of 6" duct or higher to capture all the "fine" dust, the most dangerous.  I'm not sure if the modified Grizzly will be effective enough.  I'm also not sure a more powerful cyclone would perform any better without increasing size of the ducts.

I really liked what Phil did when he measured the dust in his shop with a particle counter.  He observed that even in a basement shop, the particles settle after a few hours.  I have a first floor shop with windows on all 4 sides.  So I can air-out the shop as needed.  Phil, I was wondering where you got the particle counter...purchase, rent, borrow, or what?

BTW, I was in a Harbor Freight store this morning, and I looked at the 2 HP dust collector.  I noticed that the collar on the Harbor Freight DC was not as heavy gauged metal as the Grizzly G1029 that I have.  I was wondering why the Grizzly machine cost more that the HF. 

phil (admin)

The particle counters are made by Dylos (www.dylosproducts.com).

We had a group buy of the things about six to eight months ago and had over 120 people purchase one.  The group buy was listed at woodnet and sawmillcreek.

dbhost

I'm a self taught UNIX system administrator, with 2 degrees, and 3 languages.

I have no clue what half the stuff Bill is talking about. But that is no surprise, I tend to get a little glassy eyed and confused anytime engineers start talking. Not my bag you know?

I generally understand the difference between CFM (much better on a true DC) and static lift (much better on a shop vac).

According to Bill, the typical 2HP 4" duct based DC system can't provide enough of either. Not sure why, but that is what I read...

I know enough to know I am not getting all the fines with my shop vac. I am not sure a 4" based system makes for cleaner air due to more CFM, or dirtier air due to lower static lift.  I think a true DC system like yours would be better due to higher CFM, but not quite ideal.

Even with a 6" based cyclone, there were problems that Bill was talking about going down to size for the tools in use, such as the 1.25" ports on my sanders, or the 2.5" port on my planer etc... Bill recommends upsizing the ports, this is NOT even close to reasonable on a good number of fine dust producers.

I am reasonably happy with my setup but would prefer to add a full size "real" DC with a Thien Cyclone for certain machines that higher CFM would help.

I think, and I am no expert here, but I think you are pretty safe as a hobbyist woodworker working in a shop that gets cleaned out frequently, and is using a Thien Cyclone system of some sort, either shop vac or DC based, AND some sort of air cleaner, AND plenty of fresh air ventilation. In my case I open the garage door, turn on a box fan with a Filtrete filter duct taped in place (Note to self, time for a new filter) and crank up the DC...

If I had nothing but a ton of money, I would probably hire Bill and Phil to help design a proper dust collection system for my shop. I have a suspicion I am close to right, but far off enough to need improvement...

dbhost

It's done, and LOML is home now, I am going to TRY to test it, but I may have to help her with a client. (IT problems and her IT guys aren't around...)

handyman33

Wow, I am impressed! Very nice work jhiggins. I have been looking for a "tutorial" like this online everywhere, and finally found it here. My grandfather is wanting to complete a project almost exactly to this, modifying the Grizzly 1029DC to accept the Wynn filter and Thien Baffle. We are going to do this project together, my main question is, since I am going to have to purchase some of the materials,  what does the complete project cost? ballpark? Glad to hear that it had no dust after running. Should be a great bonding experience for me and my grandfather. Appreciate your pics, tips, and video. Thanks.

dlopeman

This is exactly what I have attempted with my JET... however, I'm still getting a lot of dust and stuff up in the filter.

I think my gap is not big enough.  The problem is that the bag attaches INSIDE the thing with a ring spring thingie (technical definition) - and may reduce flow.

BTW - I'm a UNIX admin, too.

Last week I made the gap wider.  I'll see how that improved it.  Maybe take some pix if that didn't do it for me.

Are you going to post again and tell us how it works?

jgt1942

jhiggins7

I've been using the system since I did the conversion.  However, because of other obligations, I have only filled the lower "clear" bag twice.  The system still works very effectively.  I know that the "cyclone" action is working because of the cyclone action in the saw dust in the "clear" lower bag. I have not removed the Wynn Filter, but my dust collector closet is nearly dust free whereas before the conversion (using the Grizzly cloth bags), the dust collector closet got very dusty.

jgt1942

I installed the baffle on my 2HP Grizzly and I'm not pleased with the results. If I remove the inport hose on the ring I can see a lot of chips on top of the baffle and I expected zero. I don't have the filter on top but I do have the original bag and it has a LOT of dust in it.