News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Saw blade recommendation for plywood

Started by Dougp28704, March 01, 2012, 06:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougp28704

I have been using a combination blade. I am getting ready to start a project using oak plywood. Anyone have recommendations on a good blade?

phil (admin)

I pretty much always use either a general-purpose (40-tooth) or combination (50-tooth) blade instead of any special plywood blades.

IMHO, the trick with plywood is preventing chipping on the bottom face when "cross-cutting" (cutting against the grain of the face veneer).

And the only way I've been able to achieve this is to use a sled that supports the bottom face, and a good, sharp blade.

I've tried a zero-clearance throat plate.  But it doesn't work nearly as well as a sled.

BTW, Sears stores are closing-out Sears-branded 40-tooth GP blades made by Freud in Italy for $15.  Helluva deal.

Dougp28704

Thanks Phil. I do use zero clearance insert. A sled would be nice. Wow $15. That is a deal.

RCOX

I have had pretty good luck raising my blade about 1/16" and running my plywood over that, scoring the underside, then raising the blade to height and finish cutting the plywood. This gives a lot smoother cut.

Just remember you will not be using your blade guard when you do the scoring cut. I know a lot of people don't use the guard anyway. I guess I have just had too many accidents to tempt fate. I feel the guards are there for a purpose.

Raymond