News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Ryobi BT-3100

Started by retrowood, November 03, 2011, 05:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retrowood

Phil,
I've enjoyed reading your segment on alignment of your Ryobi BT-3000 saw. I remembered when these came out and while they looked interesting, I was hesitant to jump and ended up picking up a Jet contractor saw instead. As second hand prices have come down on the Ryobis, I thought I might like to pick one up for experimenting with. I have a chance to purchase a like new BT-3100 unit w/ all Acc. for $125 and wondered if you felt this was a good price. My concerns are replacement parts, durability & dust control.

Thanks, Great site.
Retrowood

phil (admin)

Well, if it is like-new, $125 seems very reasonable.

I'll tell you this:  If you decide you don't like it, you can part it out on eBay and get your $125 (or more) back.

I will use my BT3K.  Although, I don't use the sliding table any longer.  I have make my own left-of-blade miter slot extension.  This tends to keeps its alignment a bit better for me, and also works for larger pieces a bit better for me, as well.

One of the things I liked more about the BT3K than the 3100 was the stand.  My BT3K has a rectangular stand that I was able to use in order to install a sort of truss that provides extra support to the rails (because I also have a rather heavy router table cantilevered on mine).

The 3100 wouldn't work with my truss design, and the stand is a bit more wobbly.

But I'd still take a like-new one at $125.

Let me know if you get one!

retrowood

Thanks for the quick reply and information. Do you feel the BT3100's D/C system is decent or nothing to shout about? I actually thought of installing the BT saw on a some sort/brand of folding wheeled stand and eliminating the legs altogether. I think this is possible considering the saw's overall weight & physical size.
Will let you know if I pick it up.

Thanks,
Retrowood

phil (admin)

I use a shop-vac based system for all my collection.  And it works very well.  There saw has a blade shroud w/ a 2.5-inch port.  I have seen these says with a large DC connected to 2.5" ports on the shroud and also a blade guard, and then a 4" port under the saw, and there really is no dust that escapes.

retrowood

I've seen this type of duo dust pick-up w/ great results on the Bosch 4100 saw. I guess in theory I'm trying to create a poor man's model of the Bosch using the BT series saw. Should know if i end up w/ the BT3100 tomorrow.

Thanks, Retrowood

'
Quote from: phil (admin) on November 04, 2011, 06:50:57 AM
I use a shop-vac based system for all my collection.  And it works very well.  There saw has a blade shroud w/ a 2.5-inch port.  I have seen these says with a large DC connected to 2.5" ports on the shroud and also a blade guard, and then a 4" port under the saw, and there really is no dust that escapes.

phil (admin)

I had an opportunity to get a Bosch at a great price, and considered replacing my BT3K with the Bosch.

With my Ryobi, my miter slot and sled allow me to easily cross-cut 24" wide panels with ease.  I couldn't figure out a way to duplicate that with the Bosch.

retrowood

Unfortunately I missed out on the BT....... :o Will keep looking.

Retrowood

tommitytomtom

I have 2 BT3k's ( 1 was free and the other was $40, yes I suck). I repair furniture for a living and use 1 at work. The other is a working unit, but missing some parts. I don't use the sliding miter and built a left-of-blade miter table/slot that I feel is more accurate. I stumbled across another sliding miter sled at a huge hoarder warehouse sale. (The kind you have to crawl around through) I paid $2 for it as it was missing some parts.  I think I'll make a rolling cabinet with 2 sets of rip fence rails for 50+" cuts on the left and the balance of that to the right of the blade. I'll increase the depth of the table for better cut-offs.