News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

baffle slot location

Started by denj, April 02, 2019, 08:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

denj

I'm new here. Small hobby projects like boxes, chests & trying clocks now. I need to upgrade my DC to more than the small cyclone & shop vac I have now. I'm sure a Thein baffle works but can't seem to find the location of the slot in relation to the inlet. Also the depth of the exhaust drop in the lid. Are there dimensinons and angular relationships somewhere in this post that I'm missing? On the pictures it looks like the slot ends about under the centerline of the vertical of the inlet elbow. The only real numbers I found were the 240 deg. for the 1.125" slot. I'd like to try 4" duct so I'm also wondering if there is some science to scaling up your 2.5"?

Thanks!

Den

tommitytomtom

What is the diameter of the lid or top hat you plan on using ? If you're going to follow Phil's design I think using a 1 .25" drop slot tapering to the end out to 1.5" would be a great start. Undercut or chamfer the bottom of the drop slot too. If you're going for a side entry then I'd start the same drop slot where the END of it is within 2" or so of the inlet. These are just my suggestions that have worked for me. I'm using a HF 3hp blower unit so my inlet from the tool is 4" hose. The blower unit requires 6" just for ease of design. I get PLENTY of suction and virtually zero fines out the exhaust. It really depends on the HP and CFM of the blower unit. Most of the posts here have been helpful with this journey of figuring out what work best for us/you. Experimentation is part of the fun. You can get into the ballpark of reliable dust collection with Phil's and other's designs. Personally, I like the Top Hat design and side entry.

denj