Vertically mounting HF blower motor

Started by SteveSawyer, May 21, 2010, 08:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveSawyer

Hi folks - first post.

Been using a Thien separator in a 30-gal barrel for a couple of years with great success, but I want to re-configure my DC system to both save space and increase the CFM.

My plan is to construct a separator assembly something like you can see in this thread:

http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=262.0

Eventually I want to upgrade to a much larger motor & blower assembly, but in the meantime I was thinking of re-purposing my existing HF DC's motor and blower. However, I've heard motors need to be designed to operate with the shaft in a vertical position, and that I shouldn't mount a motor designed to be operated horizontally in a vertical position as Greg McAllister did in his setup which you can see in this thread:

http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=119.0

Does anyone know what the real scoop is on this issue, as it looks like Greg's setup is working fine?

Thanks!

Negative_Zero

I am planning a similar project.  The only modification I have considered is to have the waste barrel be able to drop vertically to be cleaned out, so I do not have to move the blower/separator assembly.  Perhaps I will have a spacer below the barrel that I wedge in for use and then remove the spacer to empty the barrel.  This allows you to entirely elminated flexible hose at the blower end of your dust collection.

Not much of a modification, but all the good ideas were already taken!

-Will

Master53Yoda

The problem mounting a motor vertical is that the bearings are designed primarily for a radial thrust.   The bearings are the weak ling on the HF DC.  I have replaced   mine with Timken thrust bearings and would not hesitate to mount the motor vertical with these thrust bearings.   Worst case scenario is that you wipe out the bearings and they will make noise before they fail completely .  The bearings are a standard size shaft end is a 6205-ZZ the other end is 6204-ZZ, the Timken bearings were $45.00 for the set.   If and when I need more air flow then I currently have I will just parallel 2 HF DCs.  @ $139.00 ea on sale you just can't get any better deal for a good working system.  Remember that a fan is just a chunk of metal going round and round.  Good bearings are the key to most machines.

SteveSawyer

Thanks for the advice - and the part numbers.

I've replaced bearings on the motor for my RAS and my jointer, so if I leave the HF DC blower in place, I could swap out the bearings easily enough.

Thanks again.