Fine Dust - Cam Vac - Cyclone Design with Thien baffle

Started by AndySH, December 10, 2017, 11:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndySH

Hello All

I have been watching the "Thien" dust separator videos on Youtube and did not know why they where call so, well now i do.  Many Thanks to Phil for is design.

Before i found this group I designed my own Thien based separator, without knowing much about Phils design.

My idea, not built yet, just in the design stage, is a 400mm dia at the base of the cone x 300mm high cyclone with a Thien baffle.

I have made the Thien baffle a separate part so that i can just screw a new design on to the bottom of the cyclone. i will try different width gaps.  I know in the photo the baffle is not rotated corectly

The unit will be powered by a CAMVAC twin motor unit  not your normal chip extractor.   I currently have a small self made cyclone but it does not work that well, though that may be due to the fine dust, which is just like FLOUR.

I only cut fiberglass and carbon fiber so no CHIPS for me, just fine dust.

I like the camvac as it can be exhausted to outside with extension tubes.

At the moment the sides are at 11 degrees to try and help the FINE dust fall in to the bin below, not shown.

I selected 11 degree as i think most cyclones use this figure.

The cone will be made, well the first one, out of hardboard, with the smooth side inwards.

The top will have a complete circle of plexie glass inside so i can see what is going on.

The cone can be just cut from a 1220 x 1220 x 3mm sheet, that was part of the design

If it works well, once built i may change the cone to clear plexi glass

Both the inlet and out lets are 110mm OD

Also i know that the inlet ppe requires to be flushed back on to the side walls, just cound not find a way to do it in software.

My THREE main questions:-

1. Has anybody got any experience with angled sides?

2. And does the height of the unit have much effect?

3. Does a rectangular in port which goes from top to bottom work better than a round input pipe

I would welcome any comments upon my idea

Thanks

Andy

alan m

its an interesting concept.
the idea of a cone on a cyclone is that as the diameter gets smaller the speed has to increase . this throws the dust to the outside where friction slows it down and it groups together .

the same should apply to a thien baffle .one thing that I would be worried about is that if you are increasing the speed as it goes down will that result in a higher airspeed below the baffle plate as well. if it did then that would increase dust getting agitated and potentially pulled into the filter. not sure is that an issue or not
I don't know if 11 degrees is enough to really notice or not. 300mm is very short
I would make the height a lot more if it was my build. I would start with 600-750mm and work up .

Lael