Shop Vac / Thien Baffle modification

Started by DustySanders, July 06, 2017, 12:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DustySanders

Follow - up -

I was vacuuming the other night and noticed a sharp drop off in suction, so I checked the filter, and it was caked with fine dust. I would say that I had twice as much stuff in the bottom container of the shop vac as would have previously caused me to empty it and clean the filter. I'm not a math genius but I'd say I have reduced my filter cleaning by one half. And, cleaning the filter was easier than it used to be, because it was only fine dust, that easily shook out of the filter into a trash can.

So, there - not a miraculous improvement, but an improvement none the less. But the experience of building and using it, as well as the information on this forum that indicates that the double height top hat works better on fines has me considering building a double height unit when I build the big one for my dust collection system in a few months.

DustySanders

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I wanted to give a performance update on this project.
Having now used this for close to a year, I am more and more happy with it. I have emptied the container now three times, with no noticeable drop in suction that would make me want to change the filter. I'm not sure why it got clogged up so quickly the first time, or hasn't clogged since.