News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Another size question

Started by Yotter, June 07, 2017, 07:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yotter

About to build my first Thien Cyclone.  Because of space constraints it will be top hat type with an internal diameter of 450mm (17.7") and internal height of 170mm (6.7").  The inlet will be a standard (for UK) sewer pipe of 110mm (4.3") OD and outlet will be 127mm (5") straight up into a Harbour freight Type 2HP Blower.  I have various questions on which I'm sure the experts here can advise:
1. Is the direction of rotation important? - My thinking in this case is that as the blower above will be turning in an anticlockwise direction the the cyclone should be set up the same.  (I've seen both on YouTube etc.)
2. I assume (dangerous word) that my input pipe should be placed nearer the top of the cyclone with space below it - is this correct?
3. Assuming (there's that word again) that 2 is correct how far into the cyclone should the output pipe protrude?
4. The position of the baffle slot would appear to be critical - does where I have it in the attached diagram look correct - i.e. starting at approximately one o'clock position?

Thanks in anticipation - and thanks to Phil Thien for providing this excellent resource.

Robin aka Yotter

retired2

Yotter

Wow! - thanks for the link - that post should be pinned it contains so much info - taken ages to read completely and now going away to look at redesigning my effort slightly - going to see if I can build a transition for my 110mm inlet pipe so it enters the chamber as a 150mm X 6.3mm upright rectangle which will reduce the capacity to induce turbulence in the incoming flow as it reduces the incoming orifice width dramatically.

thanks again - away to play with hot PVC