News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Square dust container

Started by nocluetoo, May 01, 2017, 10:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nocluetoo

Hi All,

I realize that the Thien baffle must be round in order for the separation to work.  However, is it possible to have a round Top Hat baffle sit on top of a square container?  I'm building a dust collection cabinet and since the cabinet is square, I can make better use of the internal space if I make the storage for separated dust cubular. :)

Thanks!

gray

nocluetoo

I believe I found an answer to my own question in the PDF plans posted elsewhere:
"The shape and size of the dust container do not affect operation".  Hopefully that's correct!

JimmyTheHand

I'm currently building a top hat separator on top of a square container. I'll report here when it's done. :-)

retired2

Don't leave any lips or ledges under the drop slot and you should be fine. 

markmart74

Hey fellas. Piggy backing off this post.... I have a top hat over a home depot bucket and one over a square box that I built. I noticed the box will fill 3/4 full before dusts starts going to into the shop vac whereas the bucket fills about a third before it goes into the shopvac. I put a plexiglass window in both and I see more turbulence in the bucket where as the dust in the box is more settled. Is the box better in keeping the dust down? Your expert is appreciated

phil (admin)

Quote from: markmart74 on July 21, 2017, 07:35:20 PM
Hey fellas. Piggy backing off this post.... I have a top hat over a home depot bucket and one over a square box that I built. I noticed the box will fill 3/4 full before dusts starts going to into the shop vac whereas the bucket fills about a third before it goes into the shopvac. I put a plexiglass window in both and I see more turbulence in the bucket where as the dust in the box is more settled. Is the box better in keeping the dust down? Your expert is appreciated

I'd start another post and add some pics of what you've got.

There shouldn't be any carry-over until the vessel is very nearly full.