Thien Soot separator? Please help, newbie!

Started by zwandy, April 25, 2017, 12:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwandy

Folks.

I have a old/vintagelike static diesel generator, whose exhaust points towards the entry of my house. These particles are solid and have choking hazard if breathed in for too long. From whatever papers/online info I read, the particles are 2-10 microns in size, and coming out with speed 20-30 m/s from the exhaust.

With your experience please help me as a community n00b.  ;D

-Can I use Thien generator to segregate the black carbon particles into a chamber?

-Would this be bad for the engine? since this design doesn't interface directly with the engine.

My engine is such that even after maintenance it would still produce carbon based smoke after a few days. Hence thinking of applying 'Thein' to it.

I am going to do some experiments and share results.

Cheers!

bbain

A seperator/cyclone generally gets the bigger chips/dust and the filter catches the small stuff.  It sounds like you need a diesel particulate filter on the exhaust. https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/dpf.php

nucww

quick thoughts:
The diesel exhaust temperature (>500F from google) could burn up or melt the typical thien baffle materials.  So make it out of non flammable materials suitable for your exhaust temperature.
The soot may be sticky and collect on the perimeter of the collector, so be prepared to clean it a lot or make it out of something soot doesn't stick to.  The added friction may also degrade the collection performance with time.
The back pressure of the baffle may increase the exhaust pressure and reduce the efficiency of the diesel.
Unique application, be careful.  Who knows, what you develop could be the next device we see on trucks.
If it does stick to a common, cheaply available product, make the air spin within a cylinder of the stuff and pass the soot through it, and throw it away when full like a filter but air flow is open.

zwandy

I want to be able to collect the soot in dry form. With DPFs you get it trapped within tiny holes in the cordierite structure and DPF wouldn't really work well as a retrofit. Filter based designs literally suck as they will get clogged.

as nucww said- we can try making it with non flammable material. I can also try to integrate electrostatic capture to the setup.

Anyone who wants to collaborate on the experiment? I am going to start this 5th May and see how this goes... Thoughts welcome!