Thien Separator Directly in Vac?

Started by dbird, December 28, 2016, 10:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbird

Has anyone tried to use the separator design to modify their shop vac directly? Seems like one could save a lot on filters if it was useful.

Yes, I realize that this is not the way a dust collector works usually.

But, I use my vac mostly as a vac. My shop area is small and I don't use it enough to rig up an actual dust collection system. Or, if I did, I'd just hook up the vac directly.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

Dave

handyrandy

Dave,

See the Shop Vac Style Thien separator thread for some ideas. There are some in other threads on this site too.
I think this will take you to it:  http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=1210.0
Many on the web as well.

I did mine and it works great for wood. Not so well for tile dust, it is too fine. But overall, I am extremely happy with my results! Very little fine dust makes it way to the filter. I generally just use mine for cleanup. Have a separate dust collector.

As a side note, I do not have any external clamps on my vac, just the ones that are part of the top. Once the vac is on, the vacuum inside the unit keeps it together as I pull it around. So I decided I do not need them on the bottom.

Randy

dbird

Thanks for the reply Randy.

After looking through the threads you linked to, I see what I need to do. Of course, a detailed examination of my vac will be the first thing on the list to see what are my options are.

I'm in no hurry to do this, but I think it will be fun when I do. And, I'll be sure to post when I do it.

Thanks again,

Dave