News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Prebuild questions

Started by Jack01, October 17, 2016, 10:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack01

I have a Delta 50-760 dust collector. I am planning to build Thien separator for this.

The outlet of the dust collector is 5" and of course the standard dust collectors fitting are 4"

I have a Y connector for this which will reduce the output to 4", and then I can use the standard fittings and hose.

Going from 5" output to 4", will this reduce the performance of the dust collector or Thien separator?

BernardNaish

5" tube and fittings have less resistance than 4" so are best if you use them. Its possible to buy 4 to 5" converters and they are easy enough to make. 5" pipe and fittings are also available so why degrade performance?

shougham

I have the ever popular HF 2HP.  Preparing to build my version of the "Thien Baffle" after 2 weeks of research, (while I recover from hip replacement surgery).  I plan on using threaded rod between the top and bottom plates so I can adjust them for max efficiency, keeping in mind at least a 1 to 2 inch separation between the bottom of the inlet port and the bottom plate.  My question is, has anyone already done the research trials on this and know what the best separation between the 2 plates should be?  Also I've read that the thickness of the top plate used ranges anywhere between 1/4" to 3/4".  Does the thickness make any difference?

Hydrops

Hi, sorry to reply here but I cannot find how to post original thread.

I need some help am building a system like this with a 250w 730m3/hour motor with 100mm input duct and I can't get 100mm duct tube here, only 90mm or 110mm, should I do the duct with 110mm tube or 90mm tube ?
I'm thinking maybe the 110mm tube with a 90mm short tube on the end where it vacuums the dust from the cnc machine might be the best choice, can someone please advise ?

Thank you and Happy New Year.

clydeone

The best answer I can give you is go with the bigger duct for as long as practical..  Transitions should be made at the machine.