2-stage DC, smaller "fines" bag?

Started by eddielovesyou, September 16, 2016, 02:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddielovesyou

I, like many others, have added a 2nd stage to my 2HP HF dust collector by way of the 30gal can/Thien baffle combo. I'd like to put the can on the cart that came with the DC to retain the system's mobility; most conversions I've seen out there end up putting the can where the motor mounts, then building some additional support to mount the motor above the can.

Since I get so little material actually making it to the large plastic bag that came with the DC, I'm wondering if I could instead put the can there and just make the "fines" bag smaller? Is there some physics involved that I don't understand which makes this impractical? I may need to upload a clarifying sketch.

Thanks

jbg230

Yes, there is someone that uses it that way.  (Not the same configuration, but I think the idea is the same) 

Also, see this post: http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=404.0

thekingofspain

I have ufo dust collector that has 2 bins, so naturally i wanted to leverage both of them.  Thus my modifications was to make a two stage top hat Thein baffle.

The first bin had a inline Thien Baffle with the typical garbage can, top hat, then dust collector stacking.  The dust collector discharge port was redirected into the second bin, that also had a inline Thein baffle.  The waste collector for the second bin was the standard dust collector plastic bag.  On top of the second bin was pair of torrent filters.  This worked very well. 

Currently the system is in pieces as I am redoing my basement shop layout.  As always vertical space is at a premium with a top hat design.  Currently trying to mount the dust collector more toward the center of the shop on the steel beam that holds up the house vs it previous wall mounted setup.