Question on my separator build.

Started by NLAlston, July 13, 2015, 09:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NLAlston

A little while back I completed my first separator build.  I simplified things a bit, on this first build, opting for the basic plywood lid type, with baffle.  I was surprised to find that it worked as well as it did, and am looking forward to constructing a larger, more elaborate setup for my DC (my present one is for my Shop vac).

However, when this thing is in its operational stage, it emits a loud, continuous, bloodcurdling high pitched squeal.  It is deafening, and unbearable to leave running - even with hearing protectors on.
The inlet hose is of smaller diameter than the outlet hose, and I wonder if that might be the cause. 

I used 2" PVC fittings

phil (admin)

Not sure, maybe it is the air howling through the 1-1/2" hose?  Can you disconnect that?

Mine don't make any objectionable noises.

alan m

I haven't found any funny noises from any of the ones iv made. (although they are all top hat designs)
I would put the noise down to the small diameter of the pipes

Schreck

Could be the hose itself.  Some hoses that look like vacuum hoses but are intended for water (swimming pool filters, sump pump discharge, etc.) really scream when attached to a vacuum cleaner.

stan

Has anyone modified the 32 gal separator lids as sold by Rockler / Woodcraft to include the Thien designed baffle system?  I'd like info. if anyone has done this. 

NLAlston

It seems that the smaller (suctioning) hose was the culprit.  My other hose was 1-1/2", and I just recently picked up  another - same type, and diameter- hose to outfit my separator with.  Everything is now fine, within that horrible squealing  :D. 

Thanks to all for responding.

DennisCA

I've seen that you could run a screwdriver or similar along the hose with some pressure, to change the material shape a bit, that should make it less perfectly repeating and thus remove the annoying sounds. I dunno if it was Jay Bates who did that...