What is going on - apparently nothing!

Started by retired2, November 15, 2014, 08:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dabullseye

oh i got a msg from a guy named sawsucker saying that my design was like his design and i should give him credit. so thanks for inspiring my table saw dust pan design mr sawsucker i removed my post hope that makes you happy and have a wonderfull holiday season

retired2

Quote from: dabullseye on November 28, 2014, 01:33:13 PM
oh i got a msg from a guy named sawsucker saying that my design was like his design and i should give him credit. so thanks for inspiring my table saw dust pan design mr sawsucker i removed my post hope that makes you happy and have a wonderfull holiday season

Before you allow "sawsucker", woodchuck, or one of the other numerous aliases that Charles Lenz goes by to intimidate you, you should be aware that he has been kicked off just about every woodworking forum that he has joined, and there are quite a few.  He has a habit of becoming hostile when someone disagrees with him in a discussion.  He also thinks he is the inventor of trapazoidal chutes, and he thinks everyone who independently comes up with the idea stole it from him.  That is absurd!

Your work is about dust collection, and you should feel free to share and post what you are doing here, including the dust chutes for your saws.  You did not steal the idea and you do not owe anyone credit.  Chutes under saws are like fenders on a car - all sheet metal, they all look alike, they all serve the same purpose, but every model is different.

dabullseye

i like and appreciate  the private msg i have received about this horrible disgusting person who thinks he invented the wheel and is above everybody else. its people like this that lurk in the shadows of web sites and then send out private msg to to people like me  not conducting themselves in a courteous professional manor or even giving their real name much less cant spell worth a crap(even with spell check) that make me think he has some real mental issues. maybe he needs to write letters to goodyear,firestone better yet wake up to the fact that sites like these are to support and help others. i never heard phil complain when the top hats were conceived from his baffel design. so mr sawsucker i think it best if you just quit inventing things that have already invented and just seek mental help for your disorder and your illusions  of being Leonardo Da vinici.   

phil (admin)

I have to apologize that he was able to contact you.  First posts of new members have to be moderated by me before they appear.  And I thought that until that happened, they could not send PM's.  That is the way I have things set but I obviously have something set incorrectly.

Nonetheless, I have "banned" him in the system for now and I've asked over at the forum support site how I can better adjust my settings so brand-new sign-ups can't PM established members.

In the meantime feel free to repost your chute.  As the owner of this site, I'm the only one that can ask people to remove content.

phil (admin)

Okay, someone at the Simple Machines support forum provided the tip to prevent Super-Newbies from sending PM's, so even if he signs up at the library with a new name, he won't be able to PM anyone.

Again, my apologies.

dabullseye

thanks Phil. i was looking at my options and i came across an ignore list but i cant find how to set it up and get it going, but now i guess i dont need to worry about this troll anymore. enjoy the holidays and thanks for all the work you do behind the scenes.

bbrown

Quote from: retired2 on November 16, 2014, 09:05:58 AM
Quote from: BernardNaish on November 16, 2014, 03:42:17 AM
I have also been wondering where all the air spinners have gone.

To read all the blog is a daunting task and I think it puts a lot of wood shredders off reading it. I think it would help if enquirers were to be pointed to your build to find out how to make a TH at the entry point.

I have not seen any relevant articles in the wood working magazines of late, although I certainly cannot hope to read them all.

"I can't imagine reading all the threads in this forum.  In fact, just reading my thread from start to finish is a little daunting, but it was written over time as I was building and testing, so it is a bit drawn out.  In hindsight I should have waited till I was finished and then provided only the information essential for other builders - that would have made it easier to read."

This is my first post.  I have put off dust collection for way too long and my lungs are being affected.  I want to install a system and found this site.  I am finding it overwhelmingly daunting to just figure out where to start.  The amount of info is why I abandoned doing this years ago.
    That said, what I think I am seeing is as follows: I just bought the HF 2 HP collector;  I think I'll get a Wynn filter, and add a seperator (? Thein Top Hat looks like a lot of work to make so I might not get to that for a while).  I figure this is a start, and I'll just wade my way through more info best I can.  I guess if there would be one thing I'd most like to see, it would be some easier way for somone like me with no prior knowledge, to get started.  Maybe just a progressive list of steps that sort of summarize the state of the art, starting with a simple system, and adding optional steps.  I am thankful for all the info and knowledge here, but it is indeed a bit daunting for a newbie.

retired2

Quote from: bbrown on December 18, 2014, 05:05:09 AM
Quote from: retired2 on November 16, 2014, 09:05:58 AM
Quote from: BernardNaish on November 16, 2014, 03:42:17 AM
I have also been wondering where all the air spinners have gone.

To read all the blog is a daunting task and I think it puts a lot of wood shredders off reading it. I think it would help if enquirers were to be pointed to your build to find out how to make a TH at the entry point.

I have not seen any relevant articles in the wood working magazines of late, although I certainly cannot hope to read them all.

"I can't imagine reading all the threads in this forum.  In fact, just reading my thread from start to finish is a little daunting, but it was written over time as I was building and testing, so it is a bit drawn out.  In hindsight I should have waited till I was finished and then provided only the information essential for other builders - that would have made it easier to read."

This is my first post.  I have put off dust collection for way too long and my lungs are being affected.  I want to install a system and found this site.  I am finding it overwhelmingly daunting to just figure out where to start.  The amount of info is why I abandoned doing this years ago.
    That said, what I think I am seeing is as follows: I just bought the HF 2 HP collector;  I think I'll get a Wynn filter, and add a seperator (? Thein Top Hat looks like a lot of work to make so I might not get to that for a while).  I figure this is a start, and I'll just wade my way through more info best I can.  I guess if there would be one thing I'd most like to see, it would be some easier way for somone like me with no prior knowledge, to get started.  Maybe just a progressive list of steps that sort of summarize the state of the art, starting with a simple system, and adding optional steps.  I am thankful for all the info and knowledge here, but it is indeed a bit daunting for a newbie.

I'd suggest starting with the top hat, because I fear in two more years you will be at the same place.  All that will have changed is you will have clogged up your new Wynn filter with coarse fines that might have been removed by the separator.

bbrown

I gather that a seperator is just not that effective.  looks like I'll need to make a Top Hat.  Have there been any recent state-of-the-art changes to the design?  i'd liove if there's a simpler way - I'm all about using my time in the shop to make furniture.

Once again, I'm finding this site a really a wonderful source of info.

--Bill

retired2

Quote from: bbrown on December 18, 2014, 11:24:18 AM

I gather that a seperator is just not that effective.  looks like I'll need to make a Top Hat.  Have there been any recent state-of-the-art changes to the design?  i'd liove if there's a simpler way - I'm all about using my time in the shop to make furniture.

Once again, I'm finding this site a really a wonderful source of info.

--Bill

Whoops, I missed your comment about the separator.  I consider the top hat a separator also.  I'm not sure how much difference there is in performance, but they should be pretty close.  Ignore my previous comments.  I thought you were not adding any separator device.

bbrown

No problem, and thank you for the reply. 

I'm seeing a variety of separator designs.  One even uses the actual Harbour Freight body (between the upper filter and lower dust bag) with a built-in Thein sort of Top Hat.  I like that idea. 

However, the simplest I am finding seems to be just an  horizontal inlet (from the WW machine source) coming into a cylinder with an outlet going vertically to the filter and the heavy stuff just falling into the bin.  The horizontal inlet comes in at the top ad hugs one wall, creating the spiral effect as the heavy stuff fall down.  It's really just a collector bin with an inlet and a vertical connection to the filter (or the outdoors).  Wow, that is really simple and could be built in a few  hours.  Yet the maker claims it works quite well and the filter gets barely any dust.  I know I need to find the source and link it here - I'll try to find it and do that so this design can be critiqued. 

Thank you again for this interesting and informative forum.  I can see how folks get somewhat hooked on the topic   :)

--Bill

bbrown

OK, here's the link for the HF mod that I think looks like it might be what I want....
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/29578

And here's the collector I was trying to describe (a picture is definitely worth a thousand words).....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNDc66V1_64

So, if anybody has any opinions about ether of these two builds, let me know.

Maybe I'll post this as a new thread.

Thanks,

--Bill

BernardNaish

I have built several separators that take out the heavy wood debris by spinning the air stream against the wall of the bin. They work well but do not take out the fine dust. If you are re-circulating air back into your shop you need, as you say to fit a fine pleated filter. This will get blocked and performance will drop until you are forced to clean out the filter. This is a royal pain so is to be avoided. Using a Thien baffle in a top hat avoids the need. I would urge you to build a top hat. It is not much more work indeed easier work than fitting pipes to barrels. My hand tool soul cries, but a day with an electric router should see much of it completed. The best build is here:

http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=563.msg3034;topicseen#msg3034

However do not use acrylic because it is too brittle, think plastic glass. Use polycarbonate instead it is ideal and should be cheaper. Please let us know what you decide.

bbrown

This is what I needed.  Thanks so much.  So now at least I have narrowed it down to one thread of information.   Looks like I have some reading and work ahead.

Greatly appreciate the information Bernard.

--Bill