News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Introduce yourself...

Started by phil (admin), October 16, 2013, 11:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwandy

Hello hive!!

I'm a long-term amateur interested in dust capture... I am also a researcher who's trying to understand pollution and hazards of various types! 

Lovely to meet everyone here.
Cheers

nocluetoo

Hello All,

I've been lurking for a little while - building a small shop inside my house and was drawn here by the need for more efficient dust collection in a relatively constrained space.

Cheers,

gray

SDigby

Greetings
I am an amateur wood worker. My shop is small and very dusty. I have a shop vac to which I added a dust collector but it is not very efficient. Am upgrading to a 2hp Harbor Freight. I want to build a capture system. I built one from a heavy duty plastic trash can and a traffic cone. Both collapsed under the suction and a lot of chips made it to the vac. I want to learn and buld a more efficient system.

Thanks for sharing this information!

:)

MrGlasspoole

Hi!

I'm a amateur woodworker from Germany and have some questions on the cyclone build.

MikeK

Quote from: MrGlasspoole on May 07, 2017, 10:08:58 PM
Hi!

I'm a amateur woodworker from Germany and have some questions on the cyclone build.
Hello MrGlasspoole.  I live near Darmstadt and am just now setting up my hobby woodworking shop.  I am new to dust collection and want to build a Thien cyclone separator for my Bernardo dust collector.

kmerkle

Hi, I'm Kurt and I'm a hobbyist woodworker in Fort Mill, SC operating out of my 2-1/2 car garage.  I have a new HF unit that I got on sale for $150 (I love a deal). I'm halfway thru a 55 gal / tophat separator and have a question about inlet position.

brillo

Hi All,

Looking to convert a generic Chinese 3HP dusty.  Will be extracting as much as I can from this forum.

Cheers.

PGSmith

Hi, I am a retired engineer from a major auto manufacturer. 

My interests besides woodworking: grandkids (5 months to 7 years old), stock investing, computers, yard work/landscaping, home/auto maintenance. 

I plan to move my table saw and miter saw to the basement from the garage.  I'll need a dust collection system to make that possible.  I am going to replace a workbench that is attached to a wall with a Ron Paulk's design inspired workbench.  I will place it in the center of my shop area in the basement.  I will attach my Bosch 4100 table saw to the new workbench.

Yotter

Just found this great resource - thanks for all the info.

woodworking for years but only got my shop together in the last couple of years - time for proper dust control . . . . . .

Do have a couple of questions - how do I get permission to post?

BW68

Retired newbie.  Have done a lot of carpentry over the years and now moving into more sophisticated wood working.  Never paid much attention to dust until I got my first sheets of MDF.  Dust cover garage shop and coated everything including my brain.  So have been researching DC and stumbled on Youtube videos.  Have made about 6 with baffles to get 2 working ones.  have a few more to go.  found they work best when sticking to plans on another post. 

Frithy74

Hi,
I'm from from over the pond so please allow for my eccentric dialog.
Been interested in woodworking all my life as my grandfather was a master cabinet maker when he was alive.
Sadly in the UK we struggle with cheap timber and a lack of good tools so any info available will help. :)

Rick walburn

Hi ,I'm brand new here,and just wanted to give this information in case some are searching for parts for the separater. I used 6 inch as my woodmaster 3 hp allowed. Menards has the green grates that I cut the center out of,and screwed through it's base to connect. Mine is atop a brute trash can,44 gal. 10 inch lexan. It has no ledge in the chip opening,and vents straight outside. Next to zero is coming out of the exhaust. I put a rubber seal atop the trash can,and the weight of the seperater is all that holds it down. Extremely happy. Can't see how to post photos,but maybe this would help someone. Best wishes

RonB4

New but I have visited the forum many times B4.
I have built two Thien baffles and have been very pleased with the results.
The first one was for my shop vac which is in a 5 gallon bucket.
The second I built is a tophat style using a 21" diameter planter from the Depot for the walls. The planter is made from a thick and playable plastic. It has a 6" inlet and a 6" outlet was first used on a 1 1/2 HP DC. It collects in a 30 gallon barrel. It works great, collecting everything except some flour.
I learned a lot by reading posts on this forum. Thanks everyone.

Compdunz

Hello all,

I am an amature woodworker and school counselor.  I am setting up a basement workshop with a dust collection system and I am looking for ideas for my Harbor Freight DC.

I look forward to learning a lot.

cinstan

Hello-
Lifelong woodworker/guitar builder. Looking to improve my DC system.
Stan