News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Introduce yourself...

Started by phil (admin), October 16, 2013, 11:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredRay

Hi, my name is Ray and I'm a 73 year old retiree. I used to have a nice shop with all the neat toys in it but we decided to sell out everything and go out on the road living in our RV. That lasted about 3 years and due to health reasons we had to come in and get a permanent home again. So, we are in a senior mobile home park now and I have a very small shop that measures 9 x 13 feet. It is small but I seem to be able to have most of what I need. The one thing that still and always has been a problem is dust control. So, in the process of watching Youtube videos on how to make a cyclone separator I ran across this site. I am now in the process of reading through all the topics and postings here. Thanks for your efforts in putting this forum together.

Ray

dbird

My name is Dave. Retired. A woodworker buddy of mine told me today about the Thien Separator Lid. I was fascinated. I'm wondering if my old Sears Shop Vac could be modified to work with this directly. Going to post to see. I've already tried to search to find out, but the search terms are way too common to be useful.

Dave

marco

good day folks! just saying hi, I'm looking to start on a small 5 gallon bucket seperator this week

ultrasaur

Hi all.  My names Brian.  I have a HF DC I'm looking into upgrading.  Great info on this forum. Thanks so much for sharing it.  Hope to add some of my experience as I move forward.

JimmyTheHand

Hi,

I'm Staffan. I've ordered a 3 hp dust fan that I plan to use in my new dust extractor system. All pipes and hoses will be 6". I'm making a new dust hood (in sheet metal) for my planer/thicknesser to accept a 6" hose. I will use no filters. The dusty air will vent outside.

tmbmilan

Hi, My name is Tom and I was surfing the net looking for info on dust collectors and ran across this site. WOW! much info to digest and then build one. Thanks all for the info and experiences.

bigfoot

Hi, my name is Jun. I am from the Philippines. I am currently into my 2nd build. This time using a 4 inch TH.

jcarp

Hey everyone. My name is Jason and I'm from Texas.

I'm thankful for this great collection of knowledge. I've lurked for awhile now and I am about to begin a top hat build for my HF DC. All of the different ideas, implementations, and research you guys have done ahead of me is really fantastic. Phil, I'm thankful for your "open source" contribution as well to get all of us started. I'm not always the best documenter of my projects, but I'll try to keep up with it as I go along and create a post at some point. In the meantime, keep the posts coming, and know I'm thankful.

Best,
Jason

Tjdux

Hey I'm TJ and I'm working towards adding dust collection to my shop.  I have lots of questions and I plan to start my own thread but this is definitely the right place.  Everything on the entire Internet seems to point right back here eventually when talking about custom DIY dust collection.  THANKS for all the folks here answering the hard questions from guys like me.

Bridger

I built my first separator a few years ago. Interesting to see how the design has evolved. Getting ready to do some upgrades to the old one and build a second unit.

Thanks all
  Bridger

Jim_Haines

I just joined the J. Phil Thien's Projects group and find that I cannot post. I see the list of existing posts, but there is no "New Post" button displayed anywhere on the screen.

I am using a Mac computer. Is that a problem?  I have a question concerning the use of the Thien separator before a 5 HP Oneida cyclone collector to reduce filter clogging.

Thanks

dragonflight

Hi, my name is mike and I'm an ...

No, not really - more of a dreamer than a doer and have been dreaming about dust collection for 10+ years!

Farmgopher

Hello,

Just built a Thien Baffle for my Delta dust collector.  Learned a lot from this forum.  Hoping to post some pictures to help other people who are interested in building one themselves.  Thanks

DustySanders

Hi, everyone - Once a professional furniture maker, I am now getting back into it as my children grow, and my "fall-back" career gives me the opportunity. I am interested in modifying my old Jet single stage dust collector with a Thien baffle and a cylinder filter, and look forward to digging into the great information on this board.
Thanks, Dusty

MikeK

My name is Mike and I live in Germany.  I have a temporary workshop in my garage, but will be building a permanent workshop in my basement this Summer.  The shop will be designed around an effective dust-chip collector, so I want to put a good system in at the beginning of the project rather than try to retrofit something later after the walls and ducting are in place.