News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Introduce yourself...

Started by phil (admin), October 16, 2013, 11:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddielovesyou

Thank you for this terrific resource. Finished my first baffle yesterday, huge difference!

Spratone

Hi everyone. My name is Brian and I have lurked for a while. I had been using a dust deputy and was happy with it, but not my shop vac. Recently I was looking to buy a full size dust collector and came across the deal of the century on Craigslist. A Jet DC 1100rc with filter canister for $150. I couldn't let that pass by.
Before assembling the unit, I knew I wanted to install a Thien baffle internally. Pictures to post later.
Brian

jbg230

I'm Jake and live in Kansas City.  I just got hooked on pen turning which has led me to, in addition to the lathe, buying a drill press, bandsaw, and small chop saw.  Of course the hobby has me now thinking I'm a real woodworker  ??? so I'm using my table saw and sander more than I ever have.  Hence the need for a dust collector. The more I read and view photos, the more I'm looking for the perfect set up, the perfect recipe.  I see now that the ideal system is really what's best for you.  I have my Harbor Freight 2 hp DC, Wynn 35A nano, 30 gallon metal garbage can, MDF and dowels and I'm ready to desert my family and make it happen.
Thanks to Phil and all those that make this site great.  I'm posting some questions and I hope I get it right.

bob

Hello all. I made one of these cool little contraptions, and it doesn't work as I expected, so I'm here to find out why.

taheys

Long-term woodworker; shorter-term user of dust collection system; eager to complete the modifications to my Harbor freight dust collector.

WestSide01

My name is John from Minnesota and I have a Harbor Freight dust collector I am considering modifying to better serve my x-carve cnc machine.

ivesb@aol.com

Howdy, just a quick intro.  I do a little woodworking and some metal working.  Trying to determine if I can combine dust and chip removal systems and if it would be a good idea or not.  I use shop vac to remove chips when milling works well with aluminum, clears chips to prevent dulling mill cutting edges and provides some cooling.  Two separate collectors maybe what I have to use, right now I move the shop vac from one machine to the next.

RadioBob

Howdy.  Longtime woodworker, first time caller.  We just got a Shapeoko XL 3D Router which gummed up my shopvac filter in less than 1/2 of a small project.  Time to build a dust collector.  Through copious research, the dust collection gods have pointed me in this direction.  I shall build and hopefully not disappoint.

Bob

Djboot

Hello all, cudos on all the fantastic information here.  I'm a longtime carpenter and contractor.  Finally setting up a decent little shop.  Purchased the green HF beast, found this resource and am know incorporating as many of the recommended mods as possible. 

jake88

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I have zero dust collection but I'm trying to educate myself.  I have a 2 car detached garage and I'm looking at getting a Harbor Freight DC system and modifying it someway with a Thien Baffle.  I do have some questions and I hope I'm not asking something that has already been covered in previous posts.  If I do I apologize, if you would post a link to the appropriate post so I can read up on the information already discussed.

Thanks,

Jake

JohnMTO

Hey folks- couldn't wait to sign up when I saw the JPT dust thingee on Pinterset.

I favor old iron machines (ol' Arn  in a certain world) as well as removing the extra sawdust from around wooden things and  making  things rather than buying them.

bobgroh

I have been a woodworker forever.  Not a good woodworker, you understand, but a woodworker who enjoys the job.  I am a retired electronics engineer who just enjoys building stuff - radios, computers, wood working projects, wood turning, model railroading, .... and the list goes on and on. Right now I am digging into dust collection (again!!).  I have been using a shopvac/Oneida Dust Deputy combination (on a homemade stand) for a couple of years - it is great for cleaning up the shop and ok for connecting up to the power tools I have (e.g. Shopsmith saw, a lathe, a Craftsman 6" jointer) but not really adequate for the power tools.  So my son-in-law, Steve, gifted me with a used Shopsmith DC-3300 single stage dust collector which I am rehabbing at the moment. It is small  (330 CFM, 6 to 7" SP) but also low HP so fits in well with my small shop (and the cost was great!!). But I would really like something in the front end for better dust collection and to catch large harmful objects before they break my fan blade. So very very interested in the Thien Trash Can collector.

Mr.GfC

Hi everyone.
I'm Mr.C.
I'm a disabled American VET, living in Lima Peru, because I can't afford to live in the US and have any resemblance of a life.
Anyway, I've got a small project down here in the neighborhood that I live, making wooden toys for the poor kids that don't have any.
I'm buying or building the equipment I need, as I'm able. At the moment, I'm trying to build a dust separator. I was asking questions about the math involved on sawmillcreek.org and wasn't getting any where. Then Andy Giddings gave me a link to this site.

Geeves

Hi all,

I'm a very inexperienced woodworker / maker trying to scale up a bit with limited budget and space. In dire need of some sort of dust collection solution.

silverdog

Ciao, I am Sergio "Silverdog" from Italy.
Passionate DIY builder from electronic to woodworking to CNC.
I want to add a separator to my Mechmate CNC.