News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Introduce yourself...

Started by phil (admin), October 16, 2013, 11:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil (admin)

Quote from: SouthpawFWA on January 21, 2014, 05:32:15 AM
If it is within the site rules I will give anyone a copy of my drawing.

This site is entirely about sharing.

tvman44

I for one would love to see that.  :)

RichH

Hi everybody.  I have been looking for a dust separator and saw the name Thien in a number of Youtube videos which lead me to this forum.  I will be building my first separator soon.  Thanks for the great design!

Harnell

I've been following this forum off and on for over a year and am finally getting around to building my dust separator.  I have a Jet DC-1200.  I will be redoing all of my runs from 4" to 6", adding the Thien separator, and exhausting outside.  My basement shop has a 6" planer, 10" table saw, 12" band saw, planer/molder, oscillating sander, and a portable 12" planer.  I need to get the fine dust under control from all of this equipment and am hoping my DC redo will do the trick.  My latest project has been making a Michigan shaped cutting board, photo attached.

phil (admin)

Quote from: Harnell on January 25, 2014, 07:17:48 AM
My latest project has been making a Michigan shaped cutting board, photo attached.

Welcome!

Nice cutting board, did you cut that w/ a bandsaw or scroll saw or something else?

Justin Ludwig

Coming over from SMC to learn a bit more. 

Thanks for doing what you do and posting the results.  I'm a thief of information.

bdeleiris

I've been perusing this forum for a couple weeks now. I am slowly getting a shop set up in my basement and have been anxious to protect my lungs. Just finished building my separator and will try to get some pictures up soon. There is some fine tuning to do but I am pretty pleased with the result

NeilB

Hi,
My name is Neil and I am in the process of re-working my dust collection system. I am still trying to work out exactly what I want to do, but I definintely want to incorporate some kind of Thien separator into my system. There is some great information in this forum.

Thanks,
Neil

Harnell

Quote from: phil (admin) on January 27, 2014, 02:09:23 PM
Quote from: Harnell on January 25, 2014, 07:17:48 AM
My latest project has been making a Michigan shaped cutting board, photo attached.

Welcome!

Nice cutting board, did you cut that w/ a bandsaw or scroll saw or something else?
Used a Craftsman 12" band saw.  It was my first attempt at detail work on the bandsaw.

ORBlackFZ1

Hello everyone....I built a Thien baffle a couple of years ago (before this forum was available).  It has served me well. 

With the addition of a 12" jointer, 20" surface planer and 600+ bdft of rough cut maple, my shop dust collection is due for some improved performance.  Part of the improvements include: increasing the diameter of my flexible hose from 4" to 6" and changing machine dust ports sizes. So, I need to create a new Thien baffle that has 6" input and output ports. 

I thought that I would check the forum for any new developments.  I have been impressed by the posts of Retired2, so I thought I would include his design in my next build.

BradD

Howdy all. I found this site through Mathias Wandel's woodgears.ca woodworking website. I'm a hobbyist woodworker with a CNC router that makes plenty of dust, which I would like to do a better job of collecting. I'll be posting a build I just completed, using the CNC. Watch for the  "Tophat CNC Design & Build" topic.

Nice place you have here, Phil. And your separator is fantastic!

Best to all,

Brad

hershsplace

Hello,

My name is Hersh.  I've been a wood worker off and on for about 45 years.  I have made the thein baffle for my shop vac and I love it.  Now I have the 2 HP HF DC.  So I'm going to get started on a' hose system for my 24' X 24' shop.  This looks like a great place to get the info I'll need.  Any suggested would be appreciated.

Hersh

Greg

In case you couldn't figure it out, I'm Greg. I have a new twist on a Thien Separator I will be posting in thenear future. (THIEN DUST RETURN)

Birdcarver

Recently retired ;D with my wife.  I've started to set up shop in the basement of  "This Old House."  I gotta  be creating something even if it is only a mess...in order to feel alive (translation..not grumpy) 

My main form of creating is bird carving using power carving tools, bits and wood burning tools.  Then I paint em with acrylic paints.

Dust is a big concern with power carving because I am always using fine bits to grind and sand the tupelo or basswood.  I've used a tabletop dust collector up to now and it has served me well. 

As I use bigger and more powerful machines, table saw, band saw, planer, router table drill press etc. the dust collection needs to be ramped up. 

Reading Bill Penz' articles on dust scares the "dust boogers" outta me and wonder if I will be able to protect myself, family and Jack the dog from all of the miniscule 1 micron or smaller particles.

I have a Harbor Freight 2 1/2 hp dust collector hooked up to an old Delta 10" table saw and a 12" planer and/or a router table.  So far I feel like I am heading in the right direction but always willing to get better results and techniques to do a better job.

I am building a top hat seperator on a 20 gallon steel trash can and purchasing a Wynn filter for on top of the HF DC.

I am impressed and thankful for you creating this site Phil... to help us create something that can change the lives of a bunch of wonderful woodworking enthusiasts and couple of ole farts.

I am contributing some time and even donating a couple of dollars for your efforts..thanks to you...you are changing lives..you should be proud to know that you have made a difference and one could even argue that your/our ideas have saved lives or at best improved the air we breathe.  Thank you.

Kevin

Another new guy looking for answers.  My username is Kevin, but my real name is Kevin. :)