New build complete with pics and video

Started by dan4307, August 25, 2013, 06:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan4307

Finally - Here are some pictures of my build.  Body is made from PVC sheet (painted green).  The lid and baffle are poly carbonate.  Motor is Harbor Freight.  Filter is Wynn Environmental C1425.

I've also included a video link to the baffle in action.  About 1:30 into the video I notice more turbulence and what appears to be material going through the outlet which can also be seen in the bag on the filter.  I suspect this is due to me pushing a very large amount of dust accumulated in my table saw too quickly.  In other words - under normal operation I would not expect to be moving this much material.  However, I am open to any other comments/suggestions other folks may have.

http://youtu.be/lhsTBoe9MyA

Thanks for looking

Rudy81

Very nice!  I like the idea of using Lexan to make the top and bottom. Makes it easy to see when your bin is full and needs to be emptied.

What thickness did you use? Also, where did you find the PVC sheet and how thick was it?

dan4307

Both the polycarbonate top and baffle are 1/4".   The PVC sheet was also 1/4".  The biggest trick was heating the PVC sheet to be pliable enough to bend and clamp around the collection bin to get close to the ring shape desired.   I used a propane torch which caused slight burning; hence the green paint :).   Once close to the desired diameter I was able to solvent weld the edges together.

I used PVC pipe for the inflow cut at the band saw to get close to the proper radius.   A little sandpaper got to close to perfect.   The inflow was then solvent welded also.

I was a little worried about the solvent welds but they seem plenty strong.

RogerInColorado

Can you share what the polycarbonate cost you and contact data on where you bought it.  I priced 1/4 inch acrylic last week and a 2 ft x 4 ft sheet was over $70.  Can't imagine what polycarbonate must be. 

Keep us posted.  Will be interesting to know if the wood chips and dust are abrasive enough to cloud the polycarbonate and reduce your visibility.

dan4307

I can't remember the cost exactly, but it was definitely under $50-60 for everything.  I purchased all the plastic at a local plastic/sign fabrication shop.  The poly carbonate was sold at a discounted off-cut priced (per pound) at around $20 or so from what I remember for the top and baffle.  They didn't have a pvc off-cut long enough that day, so I had to pay shop cost for that, but still very reasonable.  The key is to find a plastic shop that sells remnants at a discount, as the local home supply store would most definitely be cost prohibitive.

As for scratching of the surface, I have not noticed any yet.  I'm sure time will tell, but it will most likely be good for a while given my shop is not production use.   

Rodger - the shop I used in Colorado was Fort Collins Plastics.     

RogerInColorado

Thanks for the response.  I'll check out Ft. Collins Plastics.  We had a plastic discounter in Colorado Springs but they went belly up.

jgt1942

I can see similarities between what you have done (successfully) and what I have done unsuccessfully at this time), see http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=1017.0 and I have some questions for you.

• It looks like you made the seal between the Thine unit and the paper drum with duck tape. Is this correct?
  • How do you remove the drum? I looks like the Thine unit is setting on top of the drum and the drum is supporting the weight of the Thine unit, is this correct? If so when you remove the drum is the Thine unit just hanging by the pipe connecting it to the impeller unit?
  • How much dust is making it into the filter?

dan4307

Jgt1942

1) No duck tape.   The Thien unit actually fits inside the drum.   A PVC ring was solvent welded around the outside to prevent  it from sliding too far down.   To get an air tight fit I added self adhesive rubber tape under the ring.   The weight of the unit and an tight fit is all that I needed to keep it together an leak free.

2) I actually have gear clamps with thumb screws on the hose.   I disconnect the bottom of the hose then remove the drum and Thien unit together.   The unit simply slides off and is set to the side when dumping the barrel.  I guess I could also do as you described.   There should be plenty of clearance and the unit is not all that heavy so the hose would probably  hold the unit. I also thought about replicating toggle clamps used on some the Laguna collectors I've study at the wood store showrooms, but all seems good enough for now.

3) I haven't done any specific measurements but I have filled  the barrel 3 times and have an 2-3 inches or so of fines in the bag under the filter.  I also think most of this was from me pushing a big pile of dust (too much for normal usage) at once during my first testing.   Under normal use I haven't noticed much accumulation lately.   I am also hoping to adjust the height of the outflow over the baffle down to see if there is any improvement.  I will dump the bag and barrel and report back soon.

Overall very pleased with the setup.   

jgt1942

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'm on the path for a correct solution to my problem. I wish I had see your design before I did mine, your design is much simpler!

manthatsnice

Dan, I really really REALLY love the layout of your system!  I'd like to do the same but I'm curious about the answer to question #3 above.  By feeding the filter directly from the blower, would you (do you) get significantly more dust in the filter?  My overly simplified thought is that you're feeding the stuff directly into the filter without ever giving it a chance to collect in the bag.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Cory

manthatsnice

Phil, Alan, anyone...?

I'm looking to build my setup very soon and really like the design above but am really concerned that most, if not all, of the fines that make it through the Top Hat will be fed DIRECTLY into the filter.

I have read a ton on this website and others but can't find where this is specifically addressed. I have seen where the Grizzly Cyclone uses this design (with a cyclone instead of the top hat obviously).

Thank you guys so much.

phil (admin)

Quote from: manthatsnice on December 18, 2013, 02:24:39 PM
Dan, I really really REALLY love the layout of your system!  I'd like to do the same but I'm curious about the answer to question #3 above.  By feeding the filter directly from the blower, would you (do you) get significantly more dust in the filter?  My overly simplified thought is that you're feeding the stuff directly into the filter without ever giving it a chance to collect in the bag.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Cory

A bag attached to the bottom of the filter can help, but not as much as you might think.  The reason is, the dust is carried by the air, and the air needs to exit via the filter.  So the air will exit the filter, and leave most of the dust within the pleats of said filter.  Some dust will drop-out into the bag below, most will stay within the pleats.

The main advantage to a bag on the bottom of the filter is to make it easier to clean the filter.  You can use low-pressure from an air compressor to blow through the pleats (from outside to inside), and much of the dust will fall out of the pleats and into the bag.  The bag can then be removed, emptied, and reattached.

Does that help?

manthatsnice

Yes sir. Helps a lot. Pretty much what I was thinking but you put it in better perspective. Sounds like I'll just need to do more filter cleaning (more often) . But in truth, if I do this, there's no real difference between the two systems.

Again, thank you guys so much. I've been reading this and a couple of other sights for about 3 weeks now. Amazing how much I've learned from the experts in such a short time. Still a long way to go but thanks for helping.

Thank you, thank you!   :)   :D  ;D

AndyF

Dan,

What did you use to remove the impeller so you could rotate the housing 180 deg?

Looking at the impeller, I'd guess something like this:
  http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-pulley-puller-66868.html

but the reviews about the tips breaking concerned me.

thx,
andy

AndyF

Never mind.

A $5 3in puller from the auto parts store worked just fine.  Had to use a 1/2in deep well socket to extend the threaded rod though.