If you find value in the information on this site, please consider contributing a few bucks to keep me going. Dates of last donations: 9/10/13 (thanks Rodolfo C!), 8/31/13 (thanks Roger R!), 8/25/13 (thanks Herrnoncrafts!), 6/6/13 (thanks Amazing Vision Wood Work!), 6/4/13 (thanks Richard M!), 5/9/13 (thanks Bill M!), 4/23/13 (thanks Claude L!), 4/2/13 (thanks Peter L!), 3/28/13 (thanks Dan P!), 3/11/13 (thanks Ron V!), 3/8/13 (thanks Patrick N!), 2/26/13 (thanks John L!), 2/18/13 (thanks Peter K!), 2/7/13 (thanks Ray J!), 1/12/13 (thanks Lisa S!), 1/11/13 (thanks Mike H!), 1/9/13 (thanks Larry P!), 1/15/13 (thanks Albert O!), (more down below!!!)
Scan Project (new)
More contributors (for which I'm very thankful!): 12/24/12 (thanks Seth L!), 12/14/12 (thanks Kunkworks!), 12/10/12 (thanks Jan Z!), 11/15/12 (thanks Gary P!), 10/16/12 (thanks Michael K!), 10/8/12 (thanks Larry V!), 9/20/12 (thanks Steven G!), 9/16/12 (thanks Alex K!), 9/4/12 (thanks Jeff D!), 7/19/12 (thanks Max R!), 6/15/12 (thanks John S!), 5/31/12 (thanks Donald T!), 5/30/12 (thanks George M!), 5/13/12 (thanks Nicholas B!), 5/9/12 (thanks Anthony F!), 3/30/12 (thanks Warren P!), 3/15/12 (thanks Tom B!), 3/12/12 (thanks Pat F!), 2/25/12 (thanks Carl H!), 2/19/12 (thanks Randy Z!), 2/9/12 (thanks Joseph D!), 2/6/12 (thanks James R!), 2/2/12 (thanks Doug O!), 12/21/11 (thanks Frans C!), 12/18/11 (thanks David M!), 12/5/11 (thanks Robert M!), 11/19/11 (thanks Kevin J!), 11/6/11 (thanks Fabian V!), 10/31/11 (thanks John S!), 9/13/11 (thanks Richard W!) and 10/4/11 (thanks CIFU!)
My apologies for not keeping this list up to date. I've tried writing code that will update it automatically. It doesn't work. I will be more attentive in the future.
I also have some new pages I'm working on, so check back often...
I needed to condense my shop somewhat, and that meant my Inca 410 jointer/planer and Ryobi 16/32 drum sander would have to go away.
To ease the pain somewhat, I planned on a lunchbox planer that could go on a wheeled stand which could be tucked away when not in use. After much deliberation, I went with the Dewalt DW734.
I've never used a lunchbox planer. Back in high school we had some giant industrial planer. And my Inca had a planer "head," which converted the jointer into a planer. It worked GREAT, but lacked a motorized feed; you had to push the material through the planer. It required quite a bit of force, too.
I've never really been without access to a jointer. The Inca was one of my earlier acquisitions when I started getting more serious about woodworking. And a jointer is really critical if you plan on working with any rough stock. Planers are not jointers. Planers will make a board thinner, but they won't remove bow or twist. To remove bow/twist, you need a jointer, or a commitment to hand tools.
I've read about using "planer sleds" in order to "joint" the face of lumber, but I had never actually done this. With my new Dewalt planer in place, it was finally time to give it a shot.
Many people are happy with their Rust sled. I didn't want to spend the time to make one. I know, I know, not that much to it. Still. And it looked heavy. I was hoping for something on the lighter side.
I decided to try #2, and used a 12" wide by 60" long piece of BB plywood. I attached a 1/2" high by 1" wide piece of scrap to the front to act as a stop.
The results were just okay. On at least one trip through the planer, or when I was moving it about, the workpiece shifted on top of the shims. Also, as the board got progressively thinner, I got some waves in the final surface because I didn't have enough shims to support the thinner workpiece, and the rollers of the planer were able to compress it on the way through the planer.
Much more important, I felt, was preventing the workpiece from moving in relation to the shims. Any movement of the workpiece, or the shims, would result in a lack of support which would result in a high spot in the workpiece.
When the job was done, though, removing the old glue from the sled would be a pain. A blob here or there, no problem. I didn't want to have to spend minutes removing lots of glue blobs.
Here is my solution: I place two strips of tape on the bottom of the workpiece, and two corresponding strips of tape on the top of the sled. The strips of tape line-up with each other when the workpiece is placed on the sled, and the glue stays on the tape.
Next, I squeeze blobs of holt-melt glue onto the bottom of the workpiece (on the tape), flip the workpiece onto the sled (keep the tape aligned), and allow the hot-melt glue to drip down and form a shim. Think of the glue blob as a stalactite that drips to the sled and creates a corresponding stalagmite. The tite and mite stay joined in the middle to form the shim. Gravity creates a hot melt glue shim of the ideal thickness.
Once the glue cools, I can run the sled (with the workpiece) through the planer and get a perfectly flat surface every time, no surprises. I don't have to worry about the workpiece shifting in relation to the shims when I move the assembly from the bench to the planer, it is all locked together. I can turn the entire assembly end for end without worry that I'll change the shim positioning.
And when I'm done, I just pry (with my fingers) the workpiece off the sled. The tape typically breaks its bond from the workpiece and stays on the sled. When I peel the bottom layer of tape from the sled, I get both layers of tape, with the glue trapped between.
This page has been viewed times.